GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Window roller fix

Go down 
+2
IMPALADAKID
Krzdimond
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Window Fix Information for the 1991-96 B-body
By: Bob Ignash 01/20/04
All these pictures are from the passenger rear door.

Window roller fix 1

Removing the door panel and peeling back the plastic water barrier reveals the cause. The rear of the 2 slides on this door are broken.

A shot of the front slide. Not broken... yet.
Window roller fix 2Window roller fix 3

Another picture of the broken half of the rear slider. This picture also shows the crimped end of the channel which prevented the piece of roller from dropping out of the channel altogether.

Window roller fix 4

Parts needed:

* Door Panel Retainers (x5) GM PN 15600382 .43 each.
* Roller GM PN 966-6748 1.74 each (1-2 per window).

Tools needed:

* Door panel tool.
* Stubby flathead screwdriver (preferably with a point you can put a wrench on for leverage).
* Standard phillips screwdriver.
* Standard set of pliers.
* Wrench for the stubby screwdriver (cable tie or string for the box end).
* Band-Aids (optional).

Time Required:

* 15 minutes once the door panel is off. But I've done a few... Plan about an hour or so.

Getting ready:

Carefully remove the door panel. Remember, the bezel around the handle is supposed to be one piece with the panel. It is attached but is easily broken. The plastic sheet on the door can be folded without removing or ripping and wrapped around the armrest support to get it out of the way. Reattach the window switch, you'll need it to move the regulator up and down.

The Job:

I have never seen the front roller break, only the back one. the front would be the same but would be easier just to take the whole window out. This is where a stubby flat head screwdriver with a square shaft or one like the Snap-On peice that has the area at the base on the handle that you can put a wrench onto helps out (put a cable tie or string on the box end of the wrench so you have something to grab on to if/when you drop it in the door). Use the pliers and pry the track open along the bottom within an inch or so from the end, enough to get the broken roller out. Be careful, the openings in the door can cut you. Getting the new roller in will be a little snug. I used the phillips screwdriver stuck into the hole of the new roller and used the door for leverage to snap it in. You don't need to squeeze the track back because with the window working, it wont go back that far but you can if you wish. Line up the roller with the regulator and with a 2" c-clamp, squeeze the roller on the regulator ball. Your done! It's nice to buy the 5 new clips each door uses to replace the ones that'll likely need to be once it's removed. It'll help cut down on any squeaks later on. Make sure all the clips are in place, put the panel back on and your in business.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:24 am

Great write up Robert.
But the pics are just very little red Xs.
Back to top Go down

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Not to steal your thunder on this one but, I used this kit:
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopexd.asp?id=53&quantity=1
I couldn't get a clamp on mine so I used a pair of channel lock pliers, easy to install with simple hand tools.
The kit includes the door panel retaining "trees" and has enough to do two windows.
Add some grease to the regulator stud to help the roller go back on, this helped me.
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 12:46 pm

I used the kit too but I have to admit, the instructions came in handy. I didn't have a small enough clamp so I used channel locks also... Very cool though... Thanks Rob.
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 4:07 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Great write up Robert.
But the pics are just very little red Xs.

Sorry Embarassed Embarassed

Didn't realize that the author is ALSO named Robert Embarassed

This is a reprint....... cut and paste

Robert
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 7:57 pm

No matter... Still good info. Ille see if I can copy the pics over and paste them in it. I'lle make it a sticky then too... Cool
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 8:50 pm

I see the pics just fine, both here and at work
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 6:20 am

Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 11:54 am

I just did the pass front window roller fix earlier this morning...I'd like to thank the GREAT engineers at GM for me having to do this on every b-body I've ever owned Window roller fix Icon_evil . Of course, my mint window switch bezel crumbled, so now I'm in the market for that....nice vacation day.....
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:00 am

Must be my turn. My son put the pass back window down dropping him off at school and there it went. Ordered rollers from my friendly gm parts lady...
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm

This is preventive maintenance on every B body I get, lol. Simple task once you do a couple and figure out the best way to do it yourself.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:18 am

Finally got my window fixed this morning. i had ordered rollers and she brought me sliders instead. Sent em back and gave her p/n and got rollers. They were $5.00 ea! I'm pretty sure thats a lot more than I paid for the last ones. Oh well, at least it's fixed. This was my 4th window between the 3 cars and I'm down to 25 mins. Yeah for me!

Jon
Back to top Go down
phastlt1

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:07 pm

They want over $9 a piece from the local stealership here....$5 is a bargain.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:47 pm

phastlt1 wrote:
They want over $9 a piece from the local stealership here....$5 is a bargain.

Maybe I need to order some more then to have around!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:56 pm

The ones I get from AutoZone/O'reilly are about $5 also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Window roller fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: Window roller fix   Window roller fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Window roller fix
Page 1 of 1