HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears

Go down 
AuthorMessage
yakko

yakko

Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Empty
PostSubject: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Does any one know if you can pull the pan with the engine in the car? Say lift the engine off the frame a couple inches?confused 

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Year?

I know you can do it on a 92. It's not easy, but it's doable. I had the pan rust out and replaced it. I separated the engine mounts and jacked the engine up until the transmission just touched the top of the tunnel. I may have taken the distributor cap off too -- it's pretty tight.

Anyway, removing the pan bolts required some creative use of 1/4" drive extensions and u-joints. But once things were unbolted, and the engine lifted, there was just enough room to swap out the pan.

Timing gears should not be a problem after the fan etc. are removed.

I have no idea if it can be done on a 94-96 with an LT1.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I will have to try it. On the LT1 the distributor is on the front of the engine. It may be easier than a regular 350 to change the pan.

Thanks for the input. Now to order the timing chain set from Jegs. I can get the GM performance one with true roller.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Keep in mind with some true roller sets. it may require  grinding  some material off the bosses under the cover, as shown below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm

For the LO3/5 you have to rotate the crank timing mark to the 6 o'clock position, remove the oil level sensor, air cleaner, distributor cap, upper fan shroud, trans and engine oil dipsticks, exhaust pipes at manifolds, flywheel cover, trans fluid cooler lines at oil pan, trans dipstick tube, engine mount bolts, raise engine enough to get the pan out. There are a few differences, but you can get the drift for the LT1.

If you are replacing the oil pump, use a metal drive sleeve in place of the nylon one. Even if you are not replacing the pump, install a metal one anyway for insurance.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Fred,what's the purpose of using a specific 6:00 position?

Easy reference in case it accidently turns? Or something else that's important? Is that the only position that something else comes off?

Curious Dave
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 pm

The position gets the counterweights out of the way.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks Fred.

Dave
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 am

why are you pulling the pan?
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 pm

It has a mangled oil plug and big dent.  I'm worried the oil pickup is bent!  This car spent time at the quick oil changer shops.
It has a wobble at the water pump drive shaft.  Since I'm in there any way,  I decided to change the timing gears with the GM performance ones.  It's a single roller chain for the LT1.  It's supposed to be an update for these engines.  As long as you have pined optispark.   Smile

Last edited by yakko on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Keep in mind with some true roller sets. it may require  grinding  some material off the bosses under the cover, as shown below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave,
Is that from the single roller chain? The one I plan on is an update from non roller chain to roller chain. It's from GM performance.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 am

That was on the 350 block (5.7L) that I was originally working with and it was for a roller chain. Later , I pulled the 350 and plugged in a 400 block. I used a Pete Jackson gear drive on the 400.

The point was don't assume clearance will be there during assembly. Check carefully. If corrections need to be made,it is not hard. I used a simple dremel tool with a grinding bit. It didn't take long, only 1.5 beers.

Dave
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I will check the clearance. I will know also when I check the two with a vernier caliper.

Thanks for the tip Dave

Randy
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 3:49 pm

The Oil pan and drive gear came.  All I need now is the timing set.  Then some time. I have to save some money for the timing set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears   Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulling oil pan and replacing timming drive gears
Page 1 of 1