GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need help with a fuel pump

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Need help with a fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 11:00 am

Is this right??

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I took everything apart and when I put it back in, the gauge was stuck at 1/4. Removed it, checked, and the sending unit works properly (had to bend the arm to get better accuracy.)

Before I put this thing back in, I just need to know if I got it back together right....

Also, best way to put it back in..... float up, or down?
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 11:26 am

Looks right from here, except you have to put the filter on yet. Put the filter/float in the tank first, on an angle and rotate the pump vertical as you insert it down into the hole. After assembly, coat all the metal bits with anti-seize to prevent corrosion.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks, Got it all back together (easy job in of itself). Worst part was getting that little brass cup back onto the screen..... now to see if it still works.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Nope, still reads just over empty, even with 10 gallons of fuel added. I am at a loss....

New owner will be here in a week or so to take delivery and this temperamental bitch is causing problems yet again.

I think it is the float itself as it works out of the car. Is there anything in the tank that could be binding the float?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 pm

When you say it works outside of the car, did you check the potentiometer for an accurate reading? Check both the ground and the hot side, as well the actual readings. If you are not careful, the rod can be knocked loose from the clip to the potentiometer arm.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:54 pm

"tested outside of the car" means that I unplugged the pump and plugged in the harness (isolating the sending unit). I then moved the float to the highest point and looked at the gauge to make sure it read "full". I did the same at lowest point......

Sending unit and gauge work as they should.

Reinstalled the pump/sending unit and it reads just above empty. I am thinking the float itself is suspect. Is this a replaceable part, or is it part of an assembly.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:11 pm

I do not know if it is replaceable. I can look at one I have when I get over to my dad's this coming week.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Maybe this could be of some help?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Sending unit is new (little over a year old) Worked fine until I replaced the pump. Returned the unit to the tank and it read 1/4. Removed today and checked..... all works as it should, except when I put it back in the tank..... reads empty now.

There are only 2 options that I can think of...... float has a hole in it and it floats to the bottom, or it binds on something inside the tank (this would happen if I didn't get it put back together correctly.)

I'm going to try and remove the tank again tomorrow and put the whole unit in a 5 gallon bucket of water and check things out while plugged into the vehicle harness.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Superior Finish wrote:
Sending unit is new (little over a year old) Worked fine until I replaced the pump. Returned the unit to the tank and it read 1/4. Removed today and checked..... all works as it should, except when I put it back in the tank..... reads empty now.
Works, as in resistance changes according to a meter or works as in you plugged it into the car and the gauge needle goes up and down?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:28 pm

gauge needle on the dash goes from empty to full as I move the float.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with a fuel pump   Need help with a fuel pump Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help with a fuel pump
Page 1 of 1