HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

1966 toronado

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: 1966 toronado   Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 pm

I finally got one of my top 5 all time favorite cars design wise....a 1966 toronado.
It has 86k, and has been sitting in a garage for 20 years (its been garaged most of its life according to the previous owner).
It is dark metallic blue (repainted in the 80s) with original dark blue/ lighter blue vinyl/ cloth. It has cloth/ vinyl strato bucket bench, power antenna, rear defogger, AC, toggle drivers mirror, but no power locks, windows, or seats.
It needs quite a bit of work. The trunk floor is pretty solid, and the engine bay looks nice, but the floorpans are weak (not gonna fall through them, but you can tell they aren't 100% anymore) and it has some weird rust on the car. The quarters are solid save a small hole caused by the hose from the air vent behind the rear window splitting. The rear wheelwells are shot in front of the tires at the bottom. the undercoating failed, letting water behind it and it ate the metal. The quarters and fenders between the wheels have some bubbles under the paint, and theres some rust where the rocker meets the firewall in the front of the pass door jamb. The doors have some small bubbles and each one has small rust hole (maybe pinky finger sized). The front fenders have a couple rust bubbles on them. I should mention, all these rust bubbles on the body feel solid (did not give when I pushed on them) and that my body guy said (based on the white spots on the hood and the small rust bubbles) that the guy who painted it rolled it outside before the paint cured, causing moisture to get trapped under the paint. The pass fender also has what I believe is a patch on it (a right angle crack in the paint down by the rocker, and there are 2 very old screws going through the holes in the rocker trim into the bottom of the fender), and there is a spot of bondo behind the back drivers side window. Theres also some weird rust in the wheel wells where the inside lip (what is typically covered by wheel well molding) is rusty (looks to be surface rust), but the rest of the panel around the lips are solid. The frame rails felt like they just had thicker surface rust on them (but no rot/ scale that I could see.)
I know I just made the car sound like a total mess, but it is actually a decent 20 footer, and the interior looks really nice for the age, and all the misc stuff thats usually gone or damaged (misc trim, etc) is still intact.
I plan on getting it running and pass inspection, replace all the door/ window/ trunk seals and drive it around and fix the rust as I have the time/ money. First up is using POR15 on the trunk/ floorpans and working on the random small rust bubbles on the car.

pic when I first saw it

pic after uncovering it

interior

drivers floor pan (I know....not great)

trunk
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 pm

love the aftermarket add on 4 way flashers,.
Back to top Go down
Bull

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:02 am

They are really neat cars.

Have you ever seen the special showing Jay Leno's and what he did with it? Pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:15 pm

As a child of the 60s "Mannix"was one of my favorite shows.Loved watching those front tires smoking
out of turns as he chased the bad guys.Always thought the 66-67s were the best looking of all the years built.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Congrats on your new Toro, Kevin!
That looks like a great find.
I have always liked the early Toronado.
Those cars had great styling, gobs of power and you don't see them on every corner!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:02 pm

My first car, even before I had a drivers license, was a 66 Toronado that I bought with a friend for 50 bucks!! It ran, but was rusty. We diddled with it for a year or two until we lost interest and junked it. His house had a heated attached garage which, for some reason, his parents did not use. It was the first time I ever had worked on a car, and I was hooked from then on. This was probably in 1974-75, when I was a sophmore in high school. Its funny, the guy I bought it with became interested in engines and such because of that car, while I became interested in body and paint work. Both of us continued the interests as we grew up, as a result of that first car. Have fun with it.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:38 am

I found a seemingly clean '68 disk brake toro up in oregon from one of the guys on an olds forum I joined (he bought it for the engine). So looks like I might have found my patch panel/ disk brake donor.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:53 am

Nice score! I always loved the speedo in those cars. Cool styling too and the front wheel drive rims may make it easier to find new wheels with all the high offset rims these days!

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

I love garage finds! One of my favorite designs there too, such neat cars! Please keep us in the loop as you bring it back to life!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Bump: car has been flatbedded to the mechanics. He has pulled the plugs, and has been fogging the cylinders, letting it sit for a day, slowly turning it one rotation, then repeating. So far he has turned it over 4 times. He said it turns very smoothly. He is doing that to make sure he does not scar the cylinder walls on startup. He should be starting it next week.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:45 pm

First time it has seen daylight in 20 years.

Up onto the rollback

At the mechanics

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Car looks amazing,sounds like the engine is good too.Definitely not locked up so thats a good sign.Those wheels look different from the standard wheel covers,like these much better too.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

The car looks good, but it is hiding alot. It's got alot of rust due to poor paint prep back in the 80s (was repainted back then) and has rocker rust that had bondo skimmed over it. It needs alot of patches welded in, but overall the car is solid for being almost 50 years old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1966 toronado   

Back to top Go down

1966 toronado
Page 1 of 1