GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'92 Caprice New Owner! :)

Go down 
+6
lornejay1
94Woody
DBeaSSt
jayoldschool
convert2diesel
ChevyChugg
10 posters
AuthorMessage

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) Empty
PostSubject: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Okay, so I've just come across a '92 Caprice wagon. Awww yeah.

A bit about me:

First and foremost, I love forums. I love the discussion, the people, the thoughts... all of it. I'm 19, and a college student (what could be better to transport all my junk than a wagon?). I'm a Political Science and English double major, and eventually I'd like to go to law school. I also, like many other teenage guys, love video games (my XBL gamertag is the same as my forum name, feel free).

I've been around cars pretty much as long as I can remember. I was given a '94 Fleetwood by my uncle, and I still have it, but it needs work. I don't know what it needs, supposedly a head gasket, but that's another story for another day. So because of that, I wasn't sure I could afford to fix, register, etc. that... so I started hunting for something else. I found a Caprice wagon. 103,000 miles, exceptionally clean. I pick it up next week, and get to bring it back to college with me in Jacksonville. Smile

Pictures found here:

Here's the dent Sad This happened during the test drive in a parking lot. Some prick opened his door right into the car, so my dad says.

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101217c

And now for the good parts: Smile
'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101216a

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101216b

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101217

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101217a

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101215

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101227

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 0122101217b

And these are the pictures from the ad itself; the color looks a little different on the interior:

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) Capriceinterior

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) Capriceradio
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:18 pm

nice looking wagon! I'd love to see pics of the 94 Fleet as well. I didn't think Head Gaskets were very common on LT1's?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good buy and that fender is a quick fix. with only 100K on the clock you will be out of school long before anything major needs to be done. These cars if looked after easily hit 250 befire they start giving trouble.

The LO5 engine is not exactly a powerhouse (though it can be made to be) but it will give great mileage and they are dependable. Compared to the LT1 in your caddy, maintenance items are 1/2 the cost.

Don't give up on the Caddy. The two cars are basically the same car except the Caddy is 4 inches longer and has the LT1 engine in it (complete with all the added electronics). If it only needs the head gasket, your talking a Saturday afternoon and about 100 bucks in parts. I know there are a number of guys on the board from south Florida and at least one in Georgia within a couple of hours drive that could be co-herced (read BBQ and Beer) into checking the Caddy out for you.

You'll find lots of help here for both cars.

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Heh. Beer, not on me. BBQ, by all means. My dad used to work for a propane company, and I swear, at the time, we found a way to grill ANYTHING. Smile

I have some pictures of the Caddy. It needs a really good cleaning, for sure.

Here's my album of Caddy pics (it's not very extensive, but hey):

https://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/roo09511/94%20Fleetwood/

Don't let that interior pic fool you -- the driver's seat definitely needs to be replaced, lol. That car also has under 100k on it. But yeah, since I have no tools, it was just easier to find a driving car, and maybe acquire tools, etc. and fix the FWB as time went on. Plus, this way, I get TWO awesome, epically-American vehicles.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Told you that you would like it here Wink

Quote :
I didn't think Head Gaskets were very common on LT1's?

Hmmm, sound familiar? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Shh Jay, shhhhh. lol

Maybe I can get something figured out over summer. Time shall tell.

Plus, now I won't have to cram the Fleetwood with stuff anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Welcome aboard. Nice wagon! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Welcome.

Nice wagon, interior reminds me of my 92, I hate not having door pulls and am installing some.

If you wanna put an OCC cluster in it let me know Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

What's the difference between the two?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:35 pm

And so the mod bug begins. That didn't take long.

Full gauges, and much nicer...

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) S7300204
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 7:37 pm

And uh... how much effort would that take?

And what about the mileage on the odometer? Can it be changed to read the same as the original? I am intrigued... because looking at the car, all I can say is "Man.. this needs a tach."
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm

welcome. Nice wagon from what you have said and shown.

Love the red interior, But I am somewhat attracted to red guts anyway. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 am

lornejay1 wrote:
But I am somewhat attracted to red guts anyway. Embarassed

Lorne, my wife no longer likes you.... I laughed and woke her up from her nap....

Stingroo, shoot me a PM. I am only 2 hours away in Savannah. I've got tools '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_eek Now if I could just figure out how to use them.....

Is the Caddy with you in JAX? 'Cause all I could think of when looking at the hod ornament was "You know, I could buff that right out" '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_razz

BTW, how do you know it's the head gasket? Water in oil, oil in water, bad compression in 2 cyl?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 am

It's in Stuart, so that's 3 hours south of Jax. I go to college up here. There's water in the oil.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:18 am

someone else is in stewart..... can't remember who.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 am

Really? I actually see this one particular Brougham there a lot. And there are literally 4 Impala SS's for sale at local buy here pay here's. It's kind of creepy.

I also know of 2 RMW's that are there for sale (both of which I looked at before finding this Caprice).
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:08 am

The swap is actually very simple, but time comsuming. Though I accomplished mine in one day. Just need the wiring schematics for both cars and some patience. Lots of wire splicing, if I ever do one again I am tearing down the dash and swapping the entire harness over. I think it would take less time, plus you have to run a tach signal wire through the dash anyways.

The end result is worth it and I love having a tach. I used an LTZ cluster that has a digital speedo when the OCC has a standard but the gauges are more colorful.

'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 1002333j

You have to change the portion of the dash that surrounds the gauges though. You can see the portion in Grey with the wood trim on it. Not sure how swapping the OCC surround would work cause it's dash is like the Roadmaster and very different.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 pm

welcome yes that was a good find, you'll have the biggest car at school lol, im liking the dash mod too, mine has the same color interior
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 pm

Big cars for the win, though. Smile I would have been in the same position with the Fleetwood too.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
someone else is in stewart..... can't remember who.

THat's Stuart and it's about an hour north of me. I'm prolly the closest on here to him...
Nice '92 kinda reminds me of my '92 "Ruby"
Day I got her with 103K on her
'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 101_2043

How she looks today with about 135K
'92 Caprice New Owner! :) 100_2038

She's currently in mothballs due to a bad AC compressor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:39 pm

An hour north? Where in Broward/Palm Beach are you?
Back to top Go down
ArlingtonSS

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:54 am

Welcome to the forum! Sweet looking wagon. Bummer about the fender damage....more than the average door ding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '92 Caprice New Owner! :)   '92 Caprice New Owner! :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'92 Caprice New Owner! :)
Page 1 of 1