GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good old engine mounts

Go down 
+3
94Woody
Wagon Collector
WagonLover
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WagonLover

WagonLover

Good old engine mounts Empty
PostSubject: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:44 am

Any of you guys do this?.. on a TBI 350?.. i was tryin for 45min to get at these things in the freezing cold weather.. I wanna say the lower A-arm is in the way but if there is any technics that you guys can offer that would great!.. i really dont wanna take off these a-arms to change something as easy as a rubber..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 am

Sorry - never done one on a B-body. When I did some on my G-body, which has a similar system, I grabbed my old box of odds-n-ends combination wrenches. You gotta find one that will snake into the frame at just the right angle. I didn't remove the A-arms, but the engine was not in the car...
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:25 am

man this is gonna suck!.. i had about two swivels on my wrench.. looks like its gonna be another cold day out there.. i thinks its 16 degrees where i have to work on these mounts.. santa
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

The day I sold my 92 Trans Am it still had a wrench stuck on one of the nuts from an engine swap 2 years prior, lol.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:42 pm

theres gotta be an easier way to do this.. i mean i can always just cut them off but then how do i get the nuts and bolts back in if i cant reach them now.. man this sucks.. i even read in the book and it just tells you to basicly loosen the bolts and nuts and good luck!.. i would really like to change these since i got the motor out now.. Mad
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Just remain calm and continue working at them, you'll get them done and feel much better. I know the "Calm" portion isn't easy for me at all, lol.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm

I was told the control arm had to be dropped and the spring pulled out to do them.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 pm

Shoot, I think I replaced the ones on my 9C1 with no control arms in place (I was doing a suspension rebuild at the same time).

What's wrong with your motor mounts?
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 am

nothing is wrong its just i bought new ones cuz if i did everything else to this motor.. the least i can do is change some rubbers.. safe then sorry..
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:07 pm

FYI, changing rubbers in the middle of a "project" is a mood killer.

Just saying.....
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

I've never heard of a B-body motor mount actually breaking. Why not just leave them be?
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 am

i guess your right.. im just gonna leave them
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
I've never heard of a B-body motor mount actually breaking. Why not just leave them be?

Yeah, mine were still fine (I had the same thought you did WagonLover) it is a lot of hassle to get to those bolts (those control arms have to be out of the way)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good old engine mounts   Good old engine mounts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good old engine mounts
Page 1 of 1