GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

9C1 rear springs on a wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

9C1 rear springs on a wagon Empty
PostSubject: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Ok, so I have a set of 96 rear 9C1 springs that came off the car I parted some time ago.
Knowing the back of the wagon is heavier, I'm wondering what kind of drop it would give me to use those.

Contemplating picking up Sting's fron 9c1s and putting all of them into Jade when I get busy there.

the 9C1s are I'm guessing heavier and firmer than stock on a sedan so how does that translate to the wagon.
Oh, and the 9C1 rear will be going in there too.

thanks.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Those springs raised my Fleetwood back to stock height. I don't think they will give you a drop on a wagon.

Some suggest using the A-body rear springs in the wagons (look at Gerry's stance in the rear)

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm

If you want to know for sure, find the specs for the 9C1 and wagon spring (9c1 p/n 22076523 and spring code TRJ) then math that **** up.  Bill Harper or Beertestr on ISSF probably have access to the spring rates using that code/pn/year make model.

Free height - (load rating/spring rate) = install height

spring p/n:  installed height/ load rating/s3pring rate/free height
eg. moog :5419:   9.00 1211 173 16.00
16 - (1211/173) = 9

So do it for the wagon spring (A), then do it for the 9C1 spring using the wagon load rating (B).  Do A-B  

regardless of the actual ride height, the 9C1 spring is significantly softer than the wagon stock spring (roughly 25% softer). I think you'll find the 9C1 spring will be too soft (it is IMO)
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 pm

ok thanks. your last sentence answers what I need to know....too soft.
Figured I'd swap springs when I do the rear. Stings got those nice cargo coils, but they jack the rear end up (have them in my 94) I want to lower just a little, but want little stiffer (not rock hard) spring rate as once it gets a T56 I'm going to want to slam some corners, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 pm

so now that begs the question, If I bought the cargo coils and cut them, would that be stupid and make it ride all hard like a dropped toyota bouncing down the road? This is the severs budget build
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 2:52 am

you can't cut them. You could always buy a pair of CC625. Almost the same rate as the cc623 but about an inch shorter.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks Jason, now back to our regularly scheduled posting... Smile
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 2:07 pm

BTW I recently called Federal-Mogul tech line to get the initial and final rate on some springs. I was told that it was proprietary information (followed by: the information isn't available at all) but that the published rate was the average rate in the spring's working range. If that's the case then I have been incorrect in thinking it was the spring's initial rate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9C1 rear springs on a wagon   9C1 rear springs on a wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9C1 rear springs on a wagon
Page 1 of 1