GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering Box Flare Sizes

Go down 
+4
95BRMW
Fred Kiehl
Bewber
Bull
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Steering Box Flare Sizes Empty
PostSubject: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Do any of you guys know for certain what size the flare nuts holding the steering lines to the top of the steering box are? Mine are rusty...to the point of being flaky. I think I will have one shot at getting them off, and I want to make sure I am using the proper size. With the mix of metric and SAE under the hood, I sometimes am unsure.

It seems the steering lines and the steering box have corrosion issues on these cars. My dad's '95 Impala had the same problem; rotted lines right above the box/rusty box itself.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 am

If you're married to the idea of using a wrench:

1. Buy new lines.
2. Figure out what size wrench they require.
3. Use that wrench.

Or, bust them off LIKE A BOSS and use a socket like everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

They are metric. You can get a set of butterfly sockets on ebay There are different size sets and I got the smaller set for brake lines. The larger set will probably fit the steering. The set comes with 4 sizes, and one will fit the nuts. It is almost impossible to round off the nuts, although the line may not allow the nut to turn independently. You probably should get new lines, or used ones that are clean/rust free. The northeast is noted for having rusty parts, so the rust is not a surprise.

I think I used a 13 mm wrench on them the last time I took them off.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm

As Bewber said, order a set of lines (and while your at it order the 9C1 line with cooler built in), brake the old ones off and use a socket to get the old ones off. Chances are the line is gonna twist when you try to loosen it, then snap off.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm

95BRMW wrote:
brake the old ones off
Steering Box Flare Sizes 94d
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you, gentlemen.  The breaking of the line to use a socket makes absolute sense.

I ordered a new set of lines from RockAuto just before coming here tonight.  Sadly, I had no idea about any 9C1 line w/coooler, and I didn't see any such option among the RockAuto offerings.

Once I'm in there, is it going to be obvious how to move the plastic collar that surrounds the bottom portion of the steering shaft out of the way so that I can easily access the line fitting that it partially obscures? I don't want to break it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 pm

You have to pry it over the interior line, and it will slide about 2 inches up the shaft. It might be easier to install the line on the pump if you remove the pump.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You have to pry it over the interior line, and it will slide about 2 inches up the shaft. It might be easier to install the line on the pump if you remove the pump.
Oh, the pump is out, Fred. This job has snowballed.

Steering Box Flare Sizes 100_8787_zps42e8abe4
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Anyone have a PN for the 9C1 lines? I didn't know they had a built in cooler too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 am

All of that for a power steering hose?

Forgive me for volunteering my opinion, friend, but I think you're doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:17 am

LOL Bewb.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am

brokecello wrote:
Anyone have a PN for the 9C1 lines? I didn't know they had a built in cooler too!
26036034 - PIPE. Steering Fluid Cooler.

Steering Box Flare Sizes 9408021B06-011

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=367500&ukey_make=1024&ukey_model=14492&modelYear=1996&ukey_category=19542&ukey_trimLevel=14350

Says VPI, but a search on that site showed no stock. Probably need to go to the dealer for a search of old inventory.

- J

Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am

Bewber wrote:
All of that for a power steering hose?

Forgive me for volunteering my opinion, friend, but I think you're doing it wrong.
No sir. Steering hose wasn't even on my radar when I pulled the car into the bay.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am

Sprocket wrote:
95BRMW wrote:
brake the old ones off
Steering Box Flare Sizes 94d
Razz 
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 am

Don't get worked up over the "9C1 cooler". It's not really a cooler, it's just an extra loop of line. If you want a cooler, cut your line, and add in a small trans cooler. Not needed at all unless you are on a road course frequently. That's the only time I have ever had hot PS fluid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering Box Flare Sizes   Steering Box Flare Sizes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Box Flare Sizes
Page 1 of 1