GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

just hit a deer, radiator question.

Go down 
+2
BigBlackBeaSSt
Juanjo_NY
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Juanjo_NY

just hit a deer, radiator question. Empty
PostSubject: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi,

just hit a deer and the front "radiator" got punched, but not the engine radiator.
Can I bypass the front radiator? is that the radiator for the AC?

thanks,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Thats the AC condensor and you could get by without it but I wouldnt want to drive it.Fall is here so go for it.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 pm

thanks,
I just checked, left the engine running for a while and there is no leak from the radiator and temperature is as it was before..
Another question, I was going to put a transmission cooler, on which side of the radiator are the transmission hoses?

What a shame! Sad
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Looks like you are going to need a bunch of parts,damn deer!Sorry to see this happen to a new wagon owner.With time,parts and work you will have it looking great again.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 pm

It tweeked your core support. That should be straightened or replaced. I have one behind the shed that has a tranny cooler in it. LMk and we can work out a VERY good price on it, if you can come and get it. I may also have some of the other parts. Where in NY are you?
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 pm

thanks, I was almost to the point of crying when it happen.. I have a bunch of parts ready to go into the car.. so sad! Oh, just replace the grill because some minor damage in the other one.. LOL!!
Tim,
I'm in Orange County, NY, about 220 miles from you, but I'm sending you a PM about the parts, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:40 pm

what a PITA taking the core support out! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
At this point I don't know what a hekk I'm doing!

there is any fix for those or need to replace the whole line?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 pm

I take it those are the tranny lines, they are an easy fix with high pressure hose and clamps. Many of us have done just that.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Tom, one is the tranny line, the other is the oil line, which was cut flush from the nut that connect to the radiator. Any fix for that!?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 pm

You can still buy the oil cooler lines.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Man how sad! Good luck putting it back together!
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks,
moving forward, today got a core support, headlights w/mounts, oil and transmission cooler, hood (pending pickup) and grill from a 95 Caprice.
Need to buy a new radiator and A/C condenser. But I'm ready to start putting things back together.
In the mid-time I'm changing all the shocks, rear spring and fixing some rusty areas. So hopefully once is done is going to be better than before..  Smile

Oh, and the NUMBER ONE ACCESSORY is going to be this!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Wildlife Myth # 7. Deer whistles work just fine.

Wrong! Anecdotally, many people swear by their deer whistles, but there are no scientific studies that prove that they work.
The animal has to hear the noise, recognize that it is coming from a vehicle, interpret that the sound means danger, and react by moving away from the vehicle.
The danger is that if drivers think that deer whistles work, they may become complacent and rely on the deer whistle instead of driving wildlife aware.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Save your bumper from those crazy things. :p

Glad to see you're finding parts easily enough!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 am

The hood will fit in the cargo area if you put it in sideways. You have to start with one "point" and sort of follow the curve.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 2:50 pm

I work in remote area's with lots of wildlife around,. Sting is right,.some animals freeze at the sound,.Animals always run across in front of you in the dark because they can see better as you headlights get closer,.
Nobody up here uses deer whistles,.

Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 pm

couple months ago my wife hit a tree going backward trying to avoid a deer, 4:30 in the afternoon.
wonder if the whistle would have made any difference at that time of the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm

A new TV show called "When Deer Attack" comes to mind.Juan,would you mind telling us a little more about the accident,did she hit the brakes and spin around backwards into a tree.That was one hell of an impact to the crown vic,hope noone was hurt.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 8:27 pm

yes, in her short commute from the bus stop to home. Avoiding the deer going 55MPH (according to her ; ))the Crown Vic bite the side of the road, lost control, did a 180 and end-up in a ditch hitting a tree going backwards 30 feet from the road. She missed hitting a pole on her side by a foot. She walked from the accident unharmed but she was an emotional wreck for a while. Believe it or not after resenting the fuel fuse from the trunk the Crown Vic was running like nothing happen.

when I hit my deer I was going about the same speed, but I hit the brakes and aim at the damn animal.
Back to top Go down
Juanjo_NY

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 am

getting closer..

already put 4 new shocks, new rear springs and oil and transmission cooler from the Caprice. Waiting for the AC condenser and radiator and that should be it! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 1:22 pm

That and the correct grille and you'll be back in business!

Sweet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Feels good dont it,now park it until rutt is over with.I am surrounded by park service property and the
bucks are going crazy around here.rendeer 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: just hit a deer, radiator question.   just hit a deer, radiator question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

just hit a deer, radiator question.
Page 1 of 1