HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

350 Swap in 91 Wagon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

350 Swap in 91 Wagon Empty
PostSubject: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey guys,

Our wagon's 305 is getting tired, it's time to swap it for a 350. There is a 9c1 at our local U Pull it that I got the computer out of today. I know when I do the swap I will need the injectors and knock sensor from a 350. I have a few other questions.

1. Should I use a car or truck motor for power/reliability? Some have roller rockers right?
2. Should I get the injectors off of that police car?
3. Is the 9c1 ECM going to make a "normal" 350 run poorly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Collin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 am

Things to get from that 9c1:

Injectors
ECM
Y-pipe
Camshaft

Those are the differences between it and the regular TBI 350.

Some have roller CAMS. These are found in the cars. Truck motors have flat tappet cams. Get a car engine if you can (like... the one from that 9c1, for instance).

If it were me? If you can afford to keep the car down for a bit... I'd go pull a 5.3 with computer and harness for the same effort, and make a really fun swap out of it. However, I get that sometimes quick and easy is what's best.
Back to top Go down
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 am

Stingroo wrote:
Things to get from that 9c1:

Injectors
ECM
Y-pipe
Camshaft

Those are the differences between it and the regular TBI 350.

Some have roller CAMS. These are found in the cars. Truck motors have flat tappet cams. Get a car engine if you can (like... the one from that 9c1, for instance).

If it were me? If you can afford to keep the car down for a bit... I'd go pull a 5.3 with computer and harness for the same effort, and make a really fun swap out of it. However, I get that sometimes quick and easy is what's best.
It needs to be a quick 'n easy this go around but that will happen down the road. I have a 5.3 from a 99 Silverado but I still need to send the harness in and I'd have to source the FEAD and oil pan to make it work in a Caprice.

I'm not necessarily building this 350 to be a performance motor (it's in my 99 year old Grandmas DD) I just refuse to put a 305 back in when a 350 would go just as easy.

The cam is a bit deeper than I'd like to go, if I do the injectors and larger exhaust without the cam, would that PROM be suitable or do I need to get one from a Civilian 350 car?

I would pull the engine from that car but I have no idea if it ran before it landed in the junkyard and I'm not much of a gambler.

Thanks for the response!

-Collin
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

A couple of thoughts...

How many miles does the 9C1 have on it?

Is it complete?

How many miles on the recipient car?

If the donor has a large number of miles vs. the recipient, I would be hesitant. If the donor has relative equal or fewer miles I would be encouraged. The LO5s are hard to break. The chances of the LO5 running are very good if it has less than 200K on it. It is seldom that the engines do not run on these car when they are retired to a junk yard. It is usually because they cost more to fix the body or transmission than the car is worth. If you can get the entire engine, minus the FEAD (get the left side FEAD for the 9C1, because it has the higher output alternator and bracket), it will save you a lot of time, money, and hassle. I would replace the timing set, just because they wear, and it will make the engine run better. If you get the whole 9C1 engine, you will not have to worry about the small parts, and the hours of work, it will bolt right in.

If you are going to get an engine from a civilian model, you need the civilian computer, and the 350 injectors. If you are buying the whole engine, get the TBI with it, and you will not have to mess with anything. The starters are different as well on the 350s (they are cheaper too).

The 305 may have the oil cooler lines and adapter, and if you are pulling the engine and trans as a unit, you have to remove the oil filter to get it past the frame.

The 305 has a roller cam, so if you needed to get a set of roller lifters, there is a set in it. I replaced the 305 in my 91 last winter, The engine had 103K on it, and started the first time it cranked. I put an LT1 cam in it, and a larger injector body, as well as headers and duals. Headers and duals will get you a substantial amount of HP all by themselves, but you have to cut/weld a notch in the trans crossmember. The muffler bracket for the driver's side is the same as the passenger's side, and can be picked from any TBI car. The holes are already there on the driver's side to bolt it up. I was amazed when I put the duals on my wagon.

One more thought...You should not mix the parts between engine packages. The differences are specific to the package, and mixing them upsets the tune. The larger exhaust pipe or headers should not upset the tune on the civi engine. They can adapt a little with the rest of the package as a whole. So if you have the civi engine, keep the civi computer, and injectors. If you get the 9C1 engine use the 9C1 injectors and computer.
Back to top Go down
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
A couple of thoughts...

How many miles does the 9C1 have on it?

Is it complete?

How many miles on the recipient car?

If the donor has a large number of miles vs. the recipient, I would be hesitant. If the donor has relative equal or fewer miles I would be encouraged. The LO5s are hard to break. The chances of the LO5 running are very good if it has less than 200K on it. It is seldom that the engines do not run on these car when they are retired to a junk yard. It is usually because they cost more to fix the body or transmission than the car is worth. If you can get the entire engine, minus the FEAD (get the left side FEAD for the 9C1, because it has the higher output alternator and bracket), it will save you a lot of time, money, and hassle. I would replace the timing set, just because they wear, and it will make the engine run better. If you get the whole 9C1 engine, you will not have to worry about the small parts, and the hours of work, it will bolt right in.

If you are going to get an engine from a civilian model, you need the civilian computer, and the 350 injectors. If you are buying the whole engine, get the TBI with it, and you will not have to mess with anything. The starters are different as well on the 350s (they are cheaper too).

The 305 may have the oil cooler lines and adapter, and if you are pulling the engine and trans as a unit, you have to remove the oil filter to get it past the frame.

The 305 has a roller cam, so if you needed to get a set of roller lifters, there is a set in it. I replaced the 305 in my 91 last winter, The engine had 103K on it, and started the first time it cranked. I put an LT1 cam in it, and a larger injector body, as well as headers and duals. Headers and duals will get you a substantial amount of HP all by themselves, but you have to cut/weld a notch in the trans crossmember. The muffler bracket for the driver's side is the same as the passenger's side, and can be picked from any TBI car. The holes are already there on the driver's side to bolt it up. I was amazed when I put the duals on my wagon.

One more thought...You should not mix the parts between engine packages. The differences are specific to the package, and mixing them upsets the tune. The larger exhaust pipe or headers should not upset the tune on the civi engine. They can adapt a little with the rest of the package as a whole. So if you have the civi engine, keep the civi computer, and injectors. If you get the 9C1 engine use the 9C1 injectors and computer.
The junkyard car has 238,xxx on the odometer, our car only has 15x,xxx. The 305 still has plenty of power but my Grandma never drives it on the interstate or at a speed higher than 30mph so the top end has suffered. I know they're good engines but I do worry a bit about one that has that many (or wouldn't count on it being any better than the one that's in it).

It looks like I'll be selling the 9c1 ECU and getting a civilian car engine and computer, I was hoping I could use the 9c1 ECM and injectors on a normal 350 Sad 

Thank you for the help gents, if there are any other suggestions please throw them out there Smile

-Collin
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 pm

If you can get the injectors really cheap, I would be interested in them.
Back to top Go down
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If you can get the injectors really cheap, I would be interested in them.
If they are there next time I go, I will get them no matter what, they'll be good for someone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 350 Swap in 91 Wagon   350 Swap in 91 Wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

350 Swap in 91 Wagon
Page 1 of 1