GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

95 RMW has no taillights

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

95 RMW has no taillights Empty
PostSubject: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I have friends of ours with a '95 RMW, and they have no taillights at all! Whenever they put in a fuse, it immediately blows, which I assume would indicate a direct short. Is there a known problem with this, and more importantly, is there a quick, and easy fix? These poor people recently lost their home to a fire, and lost everything. They asked me to help out, since they can't drive the car at night, and the daylight is getting shorter by the day!

Thanks,
John

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 pm

John

You need to isolate the problem. I believe the parking lights are on the same circuit. I think I would pull the parking lights out and inspect the bulbs and sockets. If they look OK, then I would pull the bulbs out, and then try putting a fules back in. If the fuse still blows, go to the tail lights and do the same thing. Just take your time and work through the problem, looking for the obvious.

Tom
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 10:33 pm

has it got a trailer hitch ??
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 am

phantom 309 wrote:
That's why Nick gets the big money!
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Yes it does, and I already told the owner to pull the driver's side panel, and check those wires, as he told me that's where the wiring harness is for the trailer. I told him to check the brown (taillight) wire on the trailer harness, to make sure it's not bare, and touching ground.

I did forget to mention, that both the brake lights, and turn signals do work.

John
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 7:26 pm

as mentioned, just isolate and test. A multi-meter is very helpful. I would start with the trailer wiring as it's not factory (as Nick said)
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am

Nothing anyone has said is wrong, but this is cheaper and uses less fuses:

Connect a test light in place of the fuse and place the bulb were it can easily be seen during the testing. Pull each affected bulb in turn. When you remove the shorted bulb (or wiggle the shorted wire) the test light will dim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 95 RMW has no taillights   95 RMW has no taillights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

95 RMW has no taillights
Page 1 of 1