GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Exhaust in the Ballpark?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Empty
PostSubject: My Exhaust in the Ballpark?   My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm having some trouble hanging the exhaust on my '95 Roadmaster wagon. I bought a complete setup, nearly new, from a guy parting out a '96 Roadmaster wagon. The cars are identical and the exhaust should install with no problems.

However, since it's my project, there are problems.

It's awkward doing this by myself, but the hangers aren't lining up perfectly with the stock hanger locations and the OTA pipe seems close to the tire and the suspension; adjusting it away from the tire puts it in the way of or on the wrong side of the heat shield that protects the side of the gas tank.

Does it look ballparked to you, and just a matter of some tweaking that might occur if I can get a friend to help me monkey multiple pieces around at once?

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8800_zps783fd506

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8801_zps66f70654

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8807_zps1c34b0cc

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8804_zps87d15c92

See this hanger? Is this what is supposed to bolt to the frame, or does this bolt to one of those flexible straps that is bolted to the frame? This thing does not line up with the stock exhaust hanger holes, and the guy I got it from said it was attached to his car at the stock locations.
My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8806_zps0745cda9

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8802_zps11cad47b

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8813_zps0694b589

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8810_zps6050e130

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8808_zps0d358c5d

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8809_zps1c1186d3

My Exhaust in the Ballpark? 100_8812_zps6c5094d5
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My Exhaust in the Ballpark?   My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Your problem may be the Flowmasters. If the inlet and outlet are not at the same places as the OEM mufflers, it will misalign the pipes from the mufflers back.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: My Exhaust in the Ballpark?   My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks for replying, Fred.

The issue I can't get over in my mind is that this system came from a '96 RMW. The guy bought the car, the pipes were nearly new, he scrapped out the car and I got the system.

So, everything should line up ok...but it isn't and I don't know if it's user error (likely with me) or an issue with the pieces.

How close should the pipe come to the tire, for example? Should it be on the outboard side of that aluminum gas tank heat shield? Are those hangers meant to be bolted to the frame, or bolted to a flexible rubber strap that is bolted to the frame?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: My Exhaust in the Ballpark?   My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 12:05 am

The pipes go on the outside of the hear shields, and just outside of the frame rails. You do not have the OEM exhaust hangers, so you will have to guess where the hangers position the pipe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Exhaust in the Ballpark?   My Exhaust in the Ballpark? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Exhaust in the Ballpark?
Page 1 of 1