GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Throttle body spacer

Go down 
+7
buickestate
94Woody
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
200OZ
DBeaSSt
WagonLover
11 posters
AuthorMessage
WagonLover

WagonLover

Throttle body spacer Empty
PostSubject: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm

I was wondering before my rebuild how well these things work.. i never got to the research but now im to that point where i guess i should do it.. so im doin the research..

while i do this i was just wondering if any of you guys had one or an opinion on these things?.. also how good of gas milage do u get on one of these spacers if anyone has experiance with one?..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:15 pm

i guess no responded because they are not all that.. gives you like 4-12 hp.. a little fuel economy.. not reall worth the 70-110 bucks for a minor upgrade..
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I know they were used pretty regularly in the carbureted days. I never really did any research then to see if they were all that useful though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Increasing the plenum volume in a GM tbi motor is important for performance. I put a 1" spacer on my '95 Chevy G30 van with a 350 tbi/4L80e along with an injector spacer, and a "soup bowl" which un-shrouds the injectors. I don't know how much the increase was by the numbers, but it had a good seat of the pants increase. I would guess 10-15 hp, with no change in mpg. Remember that was on a heavy 1 ton van. You should be able to find all this stuff for under $150.00 between ebay, Jegs, and Summit. And for a 10-15 hp increase that is cheap and easy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I quote Blackfoot from the other forum:

"The gasket between your injectors and TB, Get 2 of the thick ones and double them up. You need a die-grinder to remove a little from the back of the venturi so the injectors clear.

My brother did this a few years ago on his pickup and what a huge difference it made. So I gave him a call and he came over and helped me do mine. My 92 will roast the back tires from a dead stop and lay 30+ feet in full posi now. That is without power breaking, Just stop, and stomp on it. I get the same mileage as I did before but gains a bunch more power and throttle response. All it is doing now is mixing the fuel better before it hits the intake runners."

I haven't had time to play with this little mod yet myself
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Sprocket wrote:
I quote Blackfoot from the other forum:

"The gasket between your injectors and TB, Get 2 of the thick ones and double them up. You need a die-grinder to remove a little from the back of the venturi so the injectors clear.

My brother did this a few years ago on his pickup and what a huge difference it made. So I gave him a call and he came over and helped me do mine. My 92 will roast the back tires from a dead stop and lay 30+ feet in full posi now. That is without power breaking, Just stop, and stomp on it. I get the same mileage as I did before but gains a bunch more power and throttle response. All it is doing now is mixing the fuel better before it hits the intake runners."

I haven't had time to play with this little mod yet myself

i find that a very awsome idea but the only thing i got to question that is if you put two gaskets isn't that more room for leaks to happen?..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm

How difficult would this be to do?

More power is never a bad thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Can you post some pics? I have had the TBI unit completely apart, and am not visualizing the gasket(s) you referring to.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

I believe he is referring to the gasket between the TBI unit and intake manifold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

If that worked properly they are talking about the top left gasket in the picture. It is for were the injectors mount to the TB itself.

The spacer for that is in the second link that 200OZ posted if anyone takes the time to look Wink
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 pm

One of the mods that I am doing this winter is having some 1" TBI spacer blocks machined. I'll keep you guys posted.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I did that on my 88 TBI Jimmy back in the day. I remember it giving me more midrange power and better throttle response. I was really impressed with how much it helped.

Is there clearance under the wagon hood for it? I know it's pretty tight in there. Especially if you have a caddy intake. IIRC, that intake actually hits the hoodliner...
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 pm

so a 12"long 90 deg venturi spacer would really make a tbi wake up eh? sorta like a cross ram?? then it,d make almost as much power as,. say,.. a briggs and stratton??

Nick
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 am

Since I'm running a 14" Air cleaner on mine, I can say I don't have the clearance for a spacer.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am

buickestate wrote:
One of the mods that I am doing this winter is having some 1" TBI spacer blocks machined. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ooo..please do! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 10:08 am

buickestate wrote:
think it'll be any cheaper all told than this?? even with taxes, and shipping?? (gasketes included)
SPACER:
Injector Spacer: (real cheap)

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 5:03 pm

I have one word for you nancy's who are worried about underhood clearance - twoinchcowlinductionhood.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Bewber wrote:
I have one word for you nancy's who are worried about underhood clearance - twoinchcowlinductionhood.

I thought it was gonna be - velocitystacks

Wink
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 pm

LMAO - that's the other word!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Well I ordered 1 of the injector spacer gaskets from e-performance parts and when I got it it was 2 gaskets glued together.Didnt think much of it till I saw the gaps between the gaskets.The glue they used dried so hard that you couldnt compress the gaskets together no matter how much pressure I applied.Called e-perfprmance,they laughed and said send it back and they would ship me 2 seperate gaskets because some customers want the gaskets glued and some dont.Looked 4 a 1 piece gasket on ebay and when I tryed to buy 1 from the 3 outfits in Austin Texas I was banned from purchasing from all 3 companies.The 3 outfits were e-performance,extreme fi and sales,sales so please think before you buy from these hacks.I was saving up 4 one of extreme fi,s TBI small blocks but found one elsewhere.
By the way I found a company that makes half inch thick TBI spacers for those of us with clearance problems.They also sell a solid one quarter inch thick injector gasket made from a very high quality gasket material.Also go ahead and buy the $15 fuel line estensions and save youself a ton of frustration and cussing.Going to put them on this weekend and try a burnout if I remember how.Never did burnouts on any of my bikes cause stupidity is costly but when I had my 429 Cobra Jet Cyclone way back when ,use to put John Force to shame.Oh the company is TnT motorsports out of Lola MT.The owner is very helpful and seems genuine.
I will let everyone know if the mods help my underpowered 305 move somewhat like a weak LT-1 with bad gas and burned valves.
Take Care
Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body spacer   Throttle body spacer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle body spacer
Page 1 of 1