GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
morel

ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Empty
PostSubject: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:19 am

Hey folks.
So from my other thread you may know I got another engine since my L05's oil pump decided to quit out. It's a ZZ4 running TBI (will get injector part number tomorrow). Wondering what hodgepodge will work best with the Roady's electrical setup. I'm thinking I can get away with cleaning and rebuilding the ZZ4, then running the TBI, FEAD, and sensors from the old LO5 on it. Will this work? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
morel

PostSubject: Re: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 am

Also, I have a rather interesting mod plan for this car once the motor situation is sorted, stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 am

You should look at the specs of the ZZ4 engine before assuming anything. What year is the ZZ4 engine from? Are the heads different? What is the cam profile? Assuming everything else fits, you may have to run a different chip with the B-body computer.
Back to top Go down
morel

PostSubject: Re: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

I'll definitely be needing a custom tune. There are some folks in town that can handle that so all is well on that front. The TBI setup on the ZZ4 is a Rochester parts 17093030 for a truck. I do believe that means they are the same 55 lb/hr injectors, so I may bump up to some 9C1's. The fuel pump on my car has been replaced and I haven't popped underneath to see what the model is, hoping for an upgrade over stock.

The ZZ4 has crappy standard heads, forgot the casting number. Moral of the story is they fall on their face at 4500 RPM, which I am totally ok with for this application. I got the heads and accessories off but the engine stand is occupied by a BMW motor so I can't get the bottom end opened up. I'm new to the american car scene and there are SO MANY suppliers. I have no idea who to buy rebuild stuff from. Seems like the sky is the limit but I'm just looking to make a reliable donkey. The heads are sludgy but should clean up nice, pistons have some moderate carbon deposits, gaskets all looked good though, no signs of leaks.
I can't seem to get a solid answer for what a good rebuild is. This motor looks like it has about 70-90K tough miles on it. Definitely all new gaskets, do I get new pistons? pushrods? valves? Going to ask my mechanic neighbor for some advice (although I won't be that neighbor, I'll throw him some $$$ or beer for his troubles)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm

If this is a real zz4 all it may need is a hone and a set of new rings,are you running a stock roller cam?If the pushrods are straight,roller lifters not cracked and the rocker arms free of any cracks
REUSE them and save your money.The first thing you need to do is verify whether or not its a real ZZ4.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.   ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZZ4 Running TBI swap help needed.
Page 1 of 1