GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

power steering pump

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WHO??

power steering pump Empty
PostSubject: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am

OK so my power steering shit the bed yesterday!!...And just from a quick glance it looks like I have to take out the ALT. and the bracket that it bolts too.is this correct??....how much of a pian in the ass is this going to be?? I am pretty good at wrenchin' and have a big ass tool box full of tools...approximately what kind of time frame am I lookin at here!! THANKS!!
Back to top Go down
WHO??

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 11:45 am

OK so now the problem is getting the pully off the pump so I can get to the bolts,everything is still in the car.I have removed the upper shroud and the fan.But I can not get the allen bolt to turn in the pulley,Got the motor to stop turning but now the pulley is slipping on the belt.I think I am going to drill a hole in the pulley so that I can jab a screwdriver it in and stop the pulley from slipping on the belt!!!....ANY OTHER IDEA's???
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

First off, this job sucks.

Second off, use a pulley puller. Local rent-a-tool parts stores should have it. Ignore that little allen bolt.

Third off, do yourself a huge favor and beg, borrow or buy a 16mm flare nut wrench to get the line off the rear. No, 5/8" won't work. Been there tried that.

Fourth off, when you turn in the old core, make sure you take out the regulator assembly and swap it to the new pump FIRST.
Back to top Go down
WHO??

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm

OK.....Jobs done!! And NO pulleys were injured during the swap.I did a little more digging and figured out the allen head was NOTHING,I then went to the local parts house and rented the puller.After that it was a "Breeze" so to speak,The worst part was getting the pressure line back in and hooked up.I did not have the recommended 16mm Flare nut wrench but I do have a 16mm wrench that I made due with....The ole girl is turnin like a champ now!!!!!!

Thanks for the input!!
Back to top Go down
WHO??

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

AND YES IT DID SUCK!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: power steering pump   power steering pump Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

power steering pump
Page 1 of 1