GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

a bunch of seemingly related problems

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
95BRMW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

a bunch of seemingly related problems Empty
PostSubject: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm hoping some of you TBI owner can help me out here.  My new to me 92 Olds has a whole lot of problems that all seem to be tied together.  I'll try to keep this as simple ass possible, but it is an odd problem.
Here's what happens:

1. When the doors are opened, the "gate ajar" light comes on.

2. Randomly while driving, you'll hear the chime go off and the gate ajar light will light with the chime.  Sometimes tapping the dash stops it, sometimes not.

3. The fuse for the interior lights, horn, etc is blown

4. if you press the horn buttons the chime will come on for a half second, the gate ajar light will light and some relay under the dash will buzz.  This seems to happen mostly when all doors are closed, for the most part does not work when the door is open.

5. If I remove the instrument panel, the horn buttons do nothing at all, no chiming and no buzzer.  I tried a known good cluster and get the same problems.

6. Engine temp light comes on and flickers if you whack the dash.

7. Sometimes the ABS light comes on, sometimes the SRS light (the wires for the air bag are broken, but the light isn't always on).

I have taken the dash pad off messed with some wires while holding the horn buttons to hear for that sound.  Seems no matter what I mess with this problem won't go away.  I'm certain there is a short somewhere between the horn circuit, courtesy lights and the gate ajar circuit.  I'm wondering if anyone knows where all 3 of these meet up where a short can happen.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 am

Now that is a problem!  This may be one for Nick.

The first thing I would check is the driver doors where there was damage.  I would check that "B" pillar that you said the previous owner had pulled out because of the damage.  Check the door switches.  I would pull off those two door panels, which you are going to do anyways.  Look the wiring over good, you may find damaged or pinched wiring there.

Tom
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 2:48 am

Well under pressure here, (thanks Tom) some where there is either a ground wire off thats making random contact, (hitting the dash) or as tom says the wiring bundle thru the drivers door has chafed wires, I,d also look up under the steering column

If you try and re-install good fuses,. what happens? when does/do the fuse(s) blow?
If you install the interior light fuse with the door switch depressed (simulating closed door) does the fuse blow immediately, or when the door switch is released?
Does the horn fuse blow when the horn is pressed, or instantaneously?

I would be looking closely for a wire bundle that has chafed against the cluster/dash support, and circuits are crossing over and grounding thru other circuits,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am

I'll sacrifice some fuses tonight and report back. I'm thinking of tracing the horn circuit out and see where it goes, seems like a relatively short run down to the relay. I'm thinking if I find that short, I'll find the others.

Also, the B-pillar was not pulled out, just the edge of the door.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 am

Would it make sense to ask the previous owner if these problems existed before the wreck? If he's truthful and they didn't that would certainly give you a potential area to focus on. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:52 am

I probably should have mentioned that before. These problems existed before the crash and have been going on for over a year now.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Did you check the three grounded wires on the back of the coil. Sorry but this is my go to for every quirky electrical problem. I have had and heard of some weird things happening when these fail and it is SO easy to check.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Did you check the three grounded wires on the back of the coil.  Sorry but this is my go to for every quirky electrical problem.  I have had and heard of some weird things happening when these fail and it is SO easy to check.
No, but I'll check those too. I checked the ground by the kick panel already.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Did I make it better or just delay the inevitable here? I put the dash back together, and for now the problem is gone. Now here's what is interesting; the horn button still triggers the gate ajar light and the relay noise. I put a new fuse in for the horn, lights, etc and the lights came on! On top of that, the horn works fine. I went out for a ride in it and never once blew the fuse and the horn still works. I guess there is/was something pinched, I just wish I knew where it was Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:39 pm

What about the quarter panel grounds out back?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a bunch of seemingly related problems   a bunch of seemingly related problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a bunch of seemingly related problems
Page 1 of 1