GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heated left seat not working......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Heated left seat not working...... Empty
PostSubject: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:08 am

I wasn't sure which category to list this thread, interior or electrical. Anyway, after a few searches didn't provide this answer I need, figured I'd start this thread. I haven't checked the fuses yet, but since the switch lights come on but the seat element does not I doubt the fuse is the problem. I haven't checked to see if the right seat heats up but that switch lights up also. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 6:28 am

hey steve i have not seen you driving around lately. i usually spot you on street rd. sorry cant help with seat but thought i would say hello
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 8:33 am

The "wire" that heats theĀ  seat is known to break. The best way to fix it is with a metal clamp around both ends. You could use the end of a crimp to make a butt splice. It is probably either stainless or nichrome wire (like in a toaster), and is at best difficult to solder.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 9:26 am

Sounds like a bit of a time consuming pain in the butt. I assume the seat, then the cover needs to be removed, correct? This is the first car I've owned with a heated seat and have come to use it all through the cold months. It warms me up on my short 2.5 mile drive to work when the car's heater still isn't worth turning on.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 10:01 pm

You should be able to remove the seat bottom cover, and foam without removing the seat from the car. I am not sure what kind of car you have, but it is either a RMS or FW. They are both the same.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks for the info. I've got a '96 Roadie wagon.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:11 pm

You do not need to remove the seats to remove the upholstery. I retrofitted heated seats using a kit from eBay. I have the Limited leather seats, so others may be slightly different. That said, the following pictures may offer some insight into how to access your factory heaters, or help someone else retrofit heaters to their own seats.

This kit is fed by 3 wires: +12V, ignition sense, and ground, just like the OEM version. I found my car had a dedicated heated seat fuse and a switched wire dedicated to the heated seat circuit, but it ended at the connector behind the DS kick panel. The cross-body harness did not include those wires. So I ran 3 #12 wires under the carpet, following the cross-body harness in the same channel, but in their own plastic wire loom. I cut the OEM +12v wires from the supply-side of the connector and spliced them into my new wires with some insulated spade connectors and added my ground to the bolt grounding the rest of the dash to the body. I didn't take pictures of that because by the time I was done it was dark and I didn't think of it until I was reassembling everything.

Today I installed the pads and switches. Removing the leather upholstery was not especially tricky, but does require strong fingers. The edges of the upholstery are secured with plastic (nylon?) "j-hook" strips that lock to the edge of the frame. A bit of weight on the seat helps get things started, but once one end is started, the rest slides off like a zipper.

The pads are labelled -- in German:

Heated left seat not working...... 01_front_left

I honestly don't know why left and right would matter, but the seat cushion is the part with the temperature sensor wire, strategically positioned where pressure will make it matter the most .

That black band is some serious industrial-strength velcro. It will quite literally rip from the foam cushion before it will let go of the loop strip sewn to the leather. You have to work gently an inch at a time to release it.

Shortly after taking the above picture, I realized that the tape was double sided. Actually, that's not entirely true: I thought it might be double sided initially but darned if I could get the backing off the tape. However, perseverance prevailed:

Heated left seat not working...... 02_it_is_double_sided_afterall

It does a nice job of holding the pads in place while reinstalling the upholstery. The pads are made of heater wire sewn to the back of some thin stiff felt. The cut-outs were close to the velcro, but I trimmed them a bit for better clearance:

Heated left seat not working...... 03_seat_back

The control unit is built into the switch. It is a tight fit -- tighter than I realized looking at the photos in the ad, but very careful measurements proved it would just fit in the seat-side switch housing, approximately where the stock switch would have been located. The bottom of the control actually protrudes beyond the edge of the housing, but not until it clears the seat frame, so it doesn't matter. I apologize in advance, I didn't realize this picture was a bit blurry and it's the only one I took:

Heated left seat not working...... 04_control_unit

However, you can see the end result clearly, and that's what really matters anyway:

Heated left seat not working...... 05_control_mounted

One nice thing about this kit is they didn't scrimp on connectors, making it easy to push wires through small spaces and connect it all up afterwards. I guess the kit is designed with the thought that someone would be installing the controls at a greater distance -- in a console or even the dash. Each side had a long extension between the pair of pads and the rest of the wiring, but I really didn't need several feet of wire coiled up under the seats. So I omitted that and just plugged the heater pads directly into the other end.

The seat back assembly is secured with similar j-hook strips, but hooked to each other then covered with the map pocket which is secured with standard "Christmas tree" fasteners. The backing is hard-board, so make sure you use the proper tool to grab the fastener. Don't pull on the map pocket or you might tear a large hole in the backing.

Heated left seat not working...... 06_seat_back_assembly

With it the first seat assembled, it was time to try it out!!! I fired up the car, set the control to 5 (maximum) and sat down to wait for a warm butt. Which didn't happen It worked fine when I tested everything last night??? I hooked up an ammeter to see if power was flowing -- nada. I swapped in the other control -- nothing. I swapped in the other set of pads -- Success!! They immediately started to warm up and the ammeter showed a little over 5 amps of current draw. WTF??? How could I have burnt out or damaged both the seat and the backrest pads during installation???

About then my eye fell upon the extension wire that I had deleted. Son-of-a---- They crossed the wires between the connectors! I plugged in the extension and confirmed that the seat was soon toasty. Time to get out the set of terminal tools and correct the order so I could delete the extension:

Heated left seat not working...... 07_crossed_wires

Unrelated to the heated seat, but another common problem seems to be failed lumbar supports. You can see the lumbar support motor mounted to the right side of the passenger backrest frame. The motor on top drives a screw mechanism that moves the cables in and out. The cables in turn tension the black "belt" across the bottom. If the plastic housing breaks, the motor will spin but the cables won't move anymore. All you have to do is find a way to hold the two halves together again. I used one of these industrial strength zip-ties to fix the driver's side, so while I was in there, I added one to the passenger side to forestall future problems:

Heated left seat not working...... 08_lumbar_motor_reinforcement
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

Excellent write up. This will help a lot. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for sharing, none of my heated seats work and this looks like a great fix!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Never had heated seats before until this new Odyssey and they are nice,first thing in the AM.The Odyssey has high and low,bet the high will be great on real cold mornings.Great how-to Dwayne,please for texas Mike,s sake tell him you vaccumed the carpet when you were done.I can hear him screaming up here in VA.lol!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 pm

The Limited seats are easy to take apart like seen above, but anyone doing this on the non limited seats should beware that GM held those together with a bunch of hog rings, not exactly easy to work with. Also, the zip tie fix for lumbar works great, did that earlier this year and it still works great!

I still have to install them on my RMW, the heated seats are shot in that thing. I bought this kit figuring it would work good being a honey comb setup that allows more cutting:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Install-Seat-Heater-Positions/dp/B005XU68C6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1385526341&sr=8-9&keywords=heated+seat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heated left seat not working......   Heated left seat not working...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heated left seat not working......
Page 1 of 1