GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor

Go down 
+2
Sprocket
s1l1sc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
s1l1sc

Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Empty
PostSubject: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 9:12 am

Alright, I figured it out - going to summarize below, maybe it will help someone else with a similar problem in the future. I will add some pictures later.

This is for Buick Roadmasters & Chevy Caprice with the digital climate control panel. Both the blower and the control module are located under the passenger side glove box. Control Module is easy to remove, blower is a pain since you have to remove the ignition module to the to the far back screw.

Initial Problem:
The blower wouldn't shut off this morning. Even with the engine turned off and the key removed it would still blow air on what felt like the highest setting.
The digital A/C controls did not have any impact on how hard the vents were blowing air. Even turning the system off did not stop the inside vents from blowing air.

Quick Fix:
Pulling the #7 fuse out of the fuse block (on the driver side of the vehicle) turnes off the blower (this should be a 30 amp fuse).

Diagnosis:
Blower Control Module has gone bad / burned out. This is part number 12368388 or JA1561 or 4P1428
This part costs between $100 to $150 online as of November 2013.

Alternate Symptoms:
When I re-connected the fuse later in the day it sparked/shorted. Now the blower motor would not run at all. Fearing I had also damaged the blower motor I got a replacement. The replacement would not run either.

At this point I did some additional digging and found that one can test the blower motor by disconnecting the two connectors from the Blower Control Module (a three wire plug and a 1 wire plug). Connect the orange 1-wire to the purple wire on the 3-wire plug. The blower motor should now start spinning.

Side Notes / Observations:
The blower motor has a plastic cover - the replacement part will not have that cover (see pictures below).
If the motor is dead, remove the cover over a trash can, as there is a good chance that it will be filled with leaf litter and other organic crud due to no cabin air filters in these cars. The cover will fit on the new replacement blower (at least it fit on  the one I got from Advance).

Last edited by s1l1sc on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:22 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am

Space for pictures

Last edited by s1l1sc on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Probably the blower control module. New ones are around $200! I got 4 at the JY for $5 a piece Wink

They are easy to remove and they are the same in LT1 Buicks as well. Chevy's with manual AC use a different one that is only 30 bucks new. I do have a thread on here as well on it. I know several years of Jeep Grand Cherokee's use the same module (may help in JY search).

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 pm

I grab extra blower modules at the JY too. I check them promptly, because they give a 30 day guaranty. If someone needs a used one, I will part with them for a price.

Always keep a spare.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Good info guys.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Pic of module?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Had these things die countless times too, always have spares!
For those interested, despite different part numbers, TBI and LT1 modules are interchangeable. Also, the module out of a 95-99 Olds Aurora and Buick Riviera are the same and will work.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 11:43 pm

I am headed to the yards this weekend, and if anyone wants one, I will pull some. LMK. I can take about $5 off of my regular price for any paid up front units.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor   Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solved - A/C wont blow, A/C won't stop blowing, Blower motor
Page 1 of 1