GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quick question about springs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
foglght

Quick question about springs Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I just had a few back and forth emails with Belltech. They are stating that any lowering spring for the rear will fall out of the perch if the vehicle is jacked up.

Is this the case?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Yes. Unless you can put a short shock on it to limit the drop. The best way I found to stop the spring from falling out is to weld a piece of exhaust pipe to the upper spring perch, and use a tiewrap to hold the spring to the bottom spring perch.
Back to top Go down
foglght

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks Fred.

Does this not cause clunking when the suspension unloads and the spring bonks around while driving?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 3:21 pm

I do not have any issues with the springs clunking when driving. If you put 1 or 2 inch shorter shocks (depending on the drop) you could stop the suspension from dropping too far. The only issue you might have with shorter shocks is getting the tire out from under the fender.

I tried using drop limiting chains bolted to the frame with 2 inch drop springs to keep the springs from falling out. To keep the springs from falling out, they were just a little too short to allow the tires to clear the fenders when changing them.
Back to top Go down
foglght

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 4:00 pm

How do you keep spring pads in there?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I've never had em fall out. Smile

I use a big heavy duty zip tie to hold them to the perches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about springs   Quick question about springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick question about springs
Page 1 of 1