GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OVERHEATING

Go down 
+2
Krzdimond
audio_bassics
6 posters
AuthorMessage
audio_bassics

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 7:10 pm

i have a 95 caprice wagon that i can drive 4-5 blocks before the temp gauge goes from cold to hot... now when i pop the hood the upper and lower hoses are cold the little ones that go to the heater core are warm but not hot like i would expect from the gauge reading...any ideas??? afro 
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Bad ground or temp sensor. Ground is free and the sensor is cheap.

There are 2 coolant temp sensors on the LT1's. One is on the passenger head and the other one is on the water pump (pump one powers the gauge on the dash). Check the wires.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 8:08 pm

thermostat stuck closed?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm

benn wrote:
thermostat stuck closed?

I've run a 'failsafe' t-stat for so long, I forget that this is an option..... Thanks for the reminder....
Back to top Go down
audio_bassics

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:56 pm

i got a new thermostat and it still does the same thing..
Back to top Go down
audio_bassics

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:17 pm

any way to make sure the water pump is working... the hoses from the radiator are cold but the temp gauge says the car is overheating the hoses that go to the heater core get warm but no heat
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Superior Finish wrote:

There are 2 coolant temp sensors on the LT1's. One is on the passenger head and the other one is on the water pump (pump one powers the gauge on the dash). Check the wires.

Unless they are different, my 94 has the idiot light sensor (probably the same location for gauge equipped cars) on the passenger head, just above the starter and the computer (ECT Sensor) is in the waterpump.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
Superior Finish wrote:

Unless they are different, my 94 has the idiot light sensor (probably the same location for gauge equipped cars) on the passenger head, just above the starter and the computer (ECT Sensor) is in the waterpump.

Bill

I could have sworn it was the other way around. I have been wrong in the past. scratch 
Back to top Go down
audio_bassics

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 pm

I REPLACED BOOTH AND STILL DOES THE SAME THING
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Cold hoses suggest to me that the core is plugged, so there is no flow. I would flush the heater core. Disconnect the hoses and flush the core backwards (ie: force water into the outlet, discharge from the inlet).
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 12:41 pm

any chance you have a air bubble. did you put new antifreeze in the car recently? have you tried the air bleed in the thermostat housing? you could always get one of those temp probes that you point it at a object (block) and it will tell you its temp. harbor frieght sells them. that way you could tell if its the gauge. just bouncing some ideas around . good luck let us know how it turns out
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

OVERHEATING Empty
PostSubject: Re: OVERHEATING   OVERHEATING Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING
Page 1 of 1