GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ice storm cracked winshield

Go down 
+3
95BRMW
jayoldschool
roadmastercouple
7 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

ice storm cracked winshield Empty
PostSubject: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

2 weeks ago a rock chipped my windshield on the blue one.
i purchased the $15 kit to fix it at advanced auto you could still see a faint mark where the chip was.
went out side this morning and the ice storm has cracked it all the way across.
so in need of a windshield for the blue one within a week or two also need another one to fix the white wagon
as some hoodlems where i live like throughing rocks
shipping is going to kill me so the closer the better as i will travel up to 4 hours away from atlanta
thanks mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Any glass shop can get your windshield. Most will do it in your driveway. No need to order one, or to drive to pick up. Depending on insurance, it might not cost you a dime. Even with no coverage, a windshield is not expensive.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm

I agree with Jay, you're better off getting a pro to do it. It's going to be a challenge getting it back home in one piece let alone working with that urethane in the winter.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 5:24 pm

i think the sedans use the same window . should be able to find one locally in jy. if i am incorrect about the sedan someone pls let me know so in future i dont make that mistake
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 pm

They do, but there is really no point in using used glass when new is available so inexpensively. Of course, in an emergency, on a very tight budget, I understand.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 pm

The top reveal is not reusable, but is available to professional glass installers. The OEM style has a groove along the center of the molding. You usually have to request it or they will use a generic one that is smooth. I would go for a pro, It should not cost you more than $200 to have it replaced. Make sure they check for a good seal around the entire glass. I had an installer not get enough urethane on the glass, and the window actually slid down the front of the opening about 1/4 of an inch. I had it reinstalled by another guy, and he did not get it sealed in front of the passenger's side, and that caused me to just about pull my hair out looking for the leak on the passenger's side. Do not be surprised if there is some rust under the urethane at various spots. Mine has rust for about 2 feet on the passenger's side, and a hole under the top reveal trim.

All 91-96 B and 93-96 D body front glass is the same.

Maybe you can get a deal if you have both of them done at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Fred-

So the "Sungate" type windshields are still available?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 8:41 am

I have heard that there are still a few hiding in warehouses around the country, but I do not know how to find them. You might try asking some of the nation wide glass franchises if they have one squirreled away.

I am not sure the Sungates are all that much superior to a standard windshield, except that they hamper the transmissions of toll pass transponders.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am

Having owned both, I can say that the Sungate does a good job of cutting down interior temps, especially on a non-tint car.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 8:35 pm

I concur on both points. This past Summer I borrowed my brother's EZ Pass for a short jaunt on the NJ Parkway. There was only one toll and a few weeks later I received a ticket for that one toll.  Evil or Very Mad

It's ability to cut down on UV has kept my dash pad in excellent condition. I too need to replace my original Sungate so I'll be trying to get another or a Pilkington equivalent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 am

thanks for advice guys appreciate it. got to get the white wagon registerd again.
after that im going to take both in at the same time like fred mentioned.
thats if i keep the white one.
im going to look at what could be my first bike (motorcycle) as i have wanted one for a while and now as i have now an excuse to get one because of legal matters
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ice storm cracked winshield   ice storm cracked winshield Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ice storm cracked winshield
Page 1 of 1