HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rmw LO5 with tourque dip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lowlow37

lowlow37

Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Empty
PostSubject: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 pm

So. When i was driving it home i felt a misfire/ hesitation, on highway cruise speed. Now, two months later the engine runs so poor that the gearbox shifts down, or won't even shift up to third from standstill on even throttle. It starts like nothing, idle is perfect and revs clean at full throttle. I have changed: plugs, cap, rotor, fuel and air filter. I have inspected the wires and measured them with an ohm meter and everything seems to be in order , but there is no progress at all.. It still huffs, and puffs like the big bad wolf trying to bring down the little piglets cabin. The check engine lamp is not signaling any problems, and it really should when it runs this bad. Is this something anyone recognises ?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 4:35 pm

It could be a clogged cat or a sluggish fuel pump.

The exhaust flow at full throttle without a load is not high. A clogged cat will make it run like a dog (in comparison to how an LO5 runs in general) when you are actually making some power. The cat will not throw a code.

A weak fuel pump will also make the car sluggish, because even at full throttle without a load not much fuel is required. The pressure would drop off at high demands if the pump is weak. There will be no check engine light with this symptom either.

You could have a failing fuel pressure regulator, but that is seldom the problem. Again there will be no check engine light for a fuel pressure regulator.

The FSM for the LO3/5 suggests that a pressure gauge be put in between the nylon feed line, and the hard line across the engine. If you get a fuel line from a 91 or 92 FW with an LO3/5, or 93 FW, you can have a Schrader valve on the fuel line to check pressure.

The FSM says to take the O2 sensor out, and put a pressure gauge adapter in the hole. The pressure gauge should nnot read more tha 8.6 kPa/1.25 psi. Increase the rpm to 2000 rpm, and the pressure should not exceed 20.7 kPa/3 psi. If higher the exhaust system is clogged, and I would suspect the cat.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Another sign of a plugged cat is decreasing engine vacuum after start. Hook a vacuum gauge to the manifold, start the car and watch the vacuum. Even at idle, the vacuum will slowly drop noticeably within the first few minutes if the cat is plugged.

Other than that: what Fred said.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm

I was looking for a recipe for torque dip.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm

It is right next to horsepower apples.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Fred. I must have missed it. I'll look again.
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 am

Haha.. Here we go again Smile  I love to accidently write funny things in english. The dip thing never crossed my mind. Thanks for the ideas of what could be wrong with my car too. I never would have thought of the catalst myself, have considered the pump though.

As for fun.. Why are Volvos always mentioned in the same sentence as "there goes the neighbourhood" Been wondering this for years.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 am

Although I have never heard that in the US, it is probably because the Volvos bring a yuppie crowd, who think they are important.
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 am

Aha, thanks.. As said, I always wondered.. Yuppies...

Back to the real deal.. as I have planned going dual on my car, do the system need a cat ? My first thought was to delete it and hope that it will pass annual inspection without. Will it be a problem for ECM? I have done a couple of conversions from carburated cars to TBI and never bothered, but I am a mechanic, far from a tech- genius. Is there something that won't work without cat? And when I ask stupid questions, should the EGR valve stay on the car ? On the -72 estate I have a block off plate and have plugged the vaacum lines. I think this is the reason that the CE light is light on that car, but I don't know if there is any advantages with this.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 am

The cats are required to pass emissions. If you are going to put duals on your car, you will need another cat on the driver's side to pass emissions. The only way you might be able to get around having a cat is to go to LNG, or Propane. You would have to get a computer compatible with the other fuels. If the car passes the annual inspection without a cat on the passenger's side, it will also pass without any cats.

The ECM will not know if there is a cat or not.

The EGR is not necessary, but the lack of it will turn the CE light on. The only thing the EGR does is increase gas mileage at highway speeds. It is also supposed to reduce some emissions at highway speeds as well.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

To me Volvos mean sandals with socks and whole wheat pasta
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:48 pm

lowlow37 wrote:
On the -72 estate I have a block off plate and have plugged the vaacum lines. I think this is the reason that the CE light is light on that car, but I don't know if there is any advantages with this.

You have a 72 with a CE light??? Sure you don't mean 82?

According to the Harry Hurt report, Volvos kill more motorcyclists than any other brand. Presumably the marque's obsession with crash worthiness fosters an "I'm safe, so it doesn't matter how I drive" attitude. I hate Volvo drivers.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm

buickestate wrote:
To me Volvos mean sandals with socks and whole wheat pasta
Dont forget all their kids names all sound alike and start with the same letter.
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:37 pm

buickwagon wrote:
lowlow37 wrote:
On the -72 estate I have a block off plate and have plugged the vaacum lines. I think this is the reason that the CE light is light on that car, but I don't know if there is any advantages with this.

You have a 72 with a CE light??? Sure you don't mean 82?

According to the Harry Hurt report, Volvos kill more motorcyclists than any other brand. Presumably the marque's obsession with crash worthiness fosters an "I'm safe, so it doesn't matter how I drive" attitude. I hate Volvo drivers.  Very Happy 

I installed the driveline from a -92 chevy truck in the Estatewagon.. So it has a CE light, and it is a -72  sunny 
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Now....
The first thing i did when the car started running irradicly was ti check for vacuumleaks.. I bought a can of starting spray (ether) and sprayed along the intake, towards and around the injectionbody, at all the hoses. Actually almost used a whole can, but did not find anything..
The cat is deleted, have tried two injectionpumps, block the egr, changed the knocksensor, lambda, temperature sender, alternator, distibrutor, wires and so on.....
My brother came by, trying to cheer me up a little,, and started to spray down the barrels of the throttlebody, and no response what so ever.
Ten miniutes later we had been to the shop and bought a new can of ether, and immedeatly found a leakage between the no 6 and 8 cylinder...

Three weeks (at least) of trying to find the problem, just because the startingfluid in the first can wouldnt even ignite when spraying it directly on the lit cigarette lighter..
Somtimes i get so mad.. How the H..L could, i know that somone would sell me a can of non-flammable starting fluid?? I am still cursing about this, a week since i discovered it.. I hate the shop that sold mi this can of S..T!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 3:14 pm

All in the name of protecting the IDIOTS amongst us does someone produce a starting fluid that wont ignite when exposed to a open flame!I say let the morons burn  Twisted Evil and give me the real stuff!Glad you finally found the problem! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 pm

I would like to know how nonflammable starting fluid can ignite to start the car to begin with. Are you sure you did not get a mislabeled can of CO2.

If you ever get to the parts store, look at the can of Aircraft Paint Remover...on the back is says not for use on aircraft.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Use brake clean/parts cleaner,. its a better starting fluid,.
blows up tires better than any ether,..and will start stuff easier,.

Last edited by phantom 309 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 5:29 am

Hahahah! You guys are the best!

On the serious side, not all of the cleaner fluids is flammable.. We have done a very scientific test with all of our cans of brake, engine, electric cleaners.. Using a cigarette lighter and never laughed a bit.. We found another can of starting fluid just like the one i used to look for vacuumleaks.. It ignited when we sprayed so much that it was a little pool of it in the bottom of a can, and lit it.. As a fume it did just put out the flame.. I guess thats why it just cost half of the others..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rmw LO5 with tourque dip   Rmw LO5 with tourque dip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rmw LO5 with tourque dip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Engine-
Jump to: