GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?

Go down 
+2
Big Wagon Guy
bcb577
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bcb577

bcb577

can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Empty
PostSubject: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 7:34 pm

hi.newby here on the forum.i have a 96 rmw,lt1 .i was reading that using a hockey puck on the air intake,can make your engine sound better?if i do this and add your basic turbo mufflers,keeping resonators,what kind of sound can i achieve? its in ok condition but defiantly not a show car,but i love a mean sounding car.any advice would be great! thanks
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Theory behind the Hockey puck in the air intake   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm

From the factory B body LT1 cars came with an air intake designed to keep induction quiet. On top of your engine you have that thing that kinda looks like the "Home Plate" used in baseball. When you remove it your left with a hole in the elbow that connects to your throttle body intake. If left unplugged your car will not run. The hole happens to be the size of a Hockey Puck, as such a lot of people use it to plug the hole. Removing the Home Plate, will free up access to the engine and fuel rails, and will allow you to hear some induction noise.

If your really looking to make your car sound more aggressive, then look to your mufflers and/or exhaust system. Lots of good info in the exhaust section or available on the ISSF or internet.
Back to top Go down
bcb577

bcb577

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks big, I think I'm gonear try the hockey puck, and since posting this have been to the exhaust forum and have some ideas, I think I'm gonna be conservative and use stock exhaust with flow master 40 series thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
bcb577

bcb577

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 11:31 am

one more question and ill lay this topic to rest,does adding the hockey puck add any kind of hp gains?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Actually there may be a slight HP loss. You will not notice it when driving on the street.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 4:30 pm

I highly double there would any measurable gain or loss.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 12:05 am

I use the hockey puck all the time, it's great for being able to access stuff when you need to diagnose something with the engine running. Should be in everyone's toolbox.

Mine has a Colorado Avalanche logo on it too. That probably is good for 3 or 4 HP alone.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 am

There is some speculation that the large volume of that resonator, right in front of throttle body, may help offset some of the limited LT1 plenum volume AND smooth out the intake pulses that might otherwise screw up the MAF readings. If it was me, I'd leave that resonator in place unless you changed out the elbow for something else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?   can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

can somebody explain the theory behind the hockey puck in air inanke?
Page 1 of 1