GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trading up Boxies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Well I wasn't actually looking to replace our 78 Impala Wagon, there is nothing really wrong with it, exept the Choke issue I have never been able to fully cure, so at temps below 50F it is a little hard to start. But it does have 105,000 miles on it, and the wife has been wishing it had Power windows and Locks. That and it isn't a Pontiac like almost all of my other cars.
Well on another forum I saw this 37,000 mile 1978 Catalina Safari, Very well equipped car with Power Locks and Windows for my wife, tilt, Power driver and passenger split bench, Cruise, Full Gauge Package with economy meter, rear window defrost, Delux Interior but not color match seat belts, Sport Mirrors, Some sort of upgraded external appearance package, Delux Wheel Covers (they have to go), and a Buick 350 4bbl. I would have preferred the Pontiac 400 4bbl that was still available, but I can live with the Buick engine as it isn't a 301 Pontiac. It also supposedly has the trailer towing Package but I won't know for sure until the PHS Package arrives, but it does have a Class III Hitch and a Electric brake controller installed. The Minus's are it is a 2 seat wagon, while I like the 3rd seat in the Impala, to be honest we have only used it about 5 times in 10 years. No little ones to haul around any more. And just a AM one speaker radio with external antenna. I find the antenna odd as our Impala has the in windshield antenna and it only had and AM Radio as well.
The oddest thing on the car is it has what looks to be an aftermarket A/C compressor under the hood, and the under hood A/C Componants do not look Factory, but there is no under dash unit inside, and he ca has factory A/C controls and in dash vents. Someone has suggested that the car has a dealer installed A/C "Kit" but the sellers states it works, so I guess I will find out soon.
And it looks like it may be the same color as our 78 Sunbird Safari Chesterfield Brown, So it may make a good looking tow rig for the little Sunbird. I am leaving Friday Morning for NC to pick it up. Paid $5000 for it. I think I did well. What do you all think?
And if you know anyone looking for a nice rust free 78 Impala Wagon send them my way!
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=382286&d=1416271245
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Unbelievable that a car more than thirty years old only has 37,000 miles. Looks clean and the color is nice. Looking forward to any pics you take when you have it back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Yes good looking Pontiac.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 am

Congratulations.
You and Krash both got lucky.
cheers
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 am

Thanks everyone, just getting ready to pull out to get it. I was pressed for time when I started this thread. Here are some more shots, the seller says it has a new headliner, but the sunvisors were lost when it was put in, that and the drivers side wheel well trim is missing for some reason.
Trading up Boxies 78CatRtFT_zps8ff2a2a2
Trading up Boxies 78CatLtRear_zpsdb5fc048
Trading up Boxies 78CatDash_zps68278f9f
Trading up Boxies 78CatFontseat_zpsd8f2cb39
Trading up Boxies 78CatRtengcompt_zpscb6c23cf
This Last shot is of the 78 Impala's engine compartment to compare the Factory A/C Equipment with what can be seen of what the 78 Catalina has. Notice the bright Orange Diagnostic conection for the A/C wiring harness above the heater/evaporator box.  Not there on the Cat. Also notice the lack of the Large A/C Componates. If the system works well I may like it better for the extra room to work on it!
Trading up Boxies IMG_1083_zps820bb410

Last edited by cammerjeff on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the Impala Picture)
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:03 am

Nice find Jeff!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trading up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading up Boxies   Trading up Boxies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading up Boxies
Page 1 of 1