GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The "Hot Rod"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cjweinga

The "Hot Rod" Empty
PostSubject: The "Hot Rod"   The "Hot Rod" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 pm

At least that's what my 4 year old calls it, I think of it more as my outlet for tinkering.  I just wanted to start a thread to document updates I am making to my wagon since I haven't posted anything since this thread.

I will get some pictures up soon but so far:
- New driver's side fender skin.
- Fuel pump/sending unit.
- 4 springs
- 4 shocks
- Lower ball joints
- All new steering parts
- Sway bar end links
- Performance upper and lower rear control arms.
- Intake gasket
- A/C Delete (Compressor, Condenser are out)
- Mechanical fan delete
- Clear corner lenses

My next to-dos include replacing the o-ring under the oil cooler line adapter on the block and some frame repair.  It looks like in the wide area of the frame next to the lower control arm brackets, someone either put a lift or some jack stands or something through the frame.  It is not rusted out, it looks like the seam down the middle of the frame just separated there.  This seems to have happened some time ago because the frame was filled up with sand which started to cause some small rust areas where it collected on the sides.  I plan to clean out the frame and spray it with rust reformer on the inside then bend the deformed pieces back into place and re-weld the seam.  Then I can cut out the couple of rust spots and patch in some 1/8" material.  Then I plan to weld a plate over the bottom of the frame to keep that from happening again.  Has anyone else seen this?  At first I thought it was rust damage and the frame was toast but the metal is all really solid, I banged on it with a body hammer and I can even flex the metal back into place with no cracking or crumbling.  I will get some pics up tomorrow when I clean it up for welding.

Here's a picture of the fender skin installed in the fall:
The "Hot Rod" YNFhjPf
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

The "Hot Rod" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Hot Rod"   The "Hot Rod" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Looking forward to more pictures, looks like you've got a great wagon so far!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

The "Hot Rod" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Hot Rod"   The "Hot Rod" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Why did you delete the AC?
Back to top Go down
cjweinga

The "Hot Rod" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Hot Rod"   The "Hot Rod" Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:11 pm

The previous owner removed everything except a busted compressor and the condenser. The bearing went bad on the compressor pulley so I replaced it with a Doorman A/C delete pulley.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The "Hot Rod" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Hot Rod"   The "Hot Rod" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The "Hot Rod"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Member Projects-
Jump to: