GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ethanol question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 am

Hello people,
We have a lot of discussion overhere in the Netherlands if 10% ethanol added to gasoline is bad for our cars, especially the older cars.
Is it true that 10% ethanol in gasoline can ruin fuelhoses?

I also found this piece of information:
"E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven General Motors (GM) passenger car models and light commercial vehicles manufactured in the United States in 1980 and later. The brands are Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet US, Corvette, GMC, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn."

It seems that ethanol is being used in the US for many years.

So, can 10% ethanol harm my '91 Caprice or shouldn't I be worried?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 8:16 am

The only part you may have an issue with is the hose between the pump and fuel line in the tank. The hose tends to crack, and you lose fuel pressure. I have not seen any other issues with my cars in the time I have had them. Ethanol has been in the fuel here for at least 25 years. The main issue is that you get about 3-5% poorer gas mileage with the ethanol, because it has about half of the BTU content of gasoline. Ethanol is subsidized here, and the cost of non-ethanol gas is about the same price as premium gas with ethanol. The comparative octane ratings are 91 for non-ethanol, and 93 for gas with ethanol. The cars are designed to run on regular at 87 octane.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm

your fuel economy will most likely decrease by 10% too.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 6:51 pm

scoffman wrote:
your fuel economy will most likely decrease by 10% too.

Since the ethanol level is 10%, and the BTUs of ethanol are about 1/2 of gasoline, the theoretical reduction in gas mileage is 5%.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm

your 91 should be ok, but older cars from the 1970s and even 80s will have issues with the rubber fuel lines. I have a 1976 GMC and had to replace all my lines.

Also the older engines were designed for alot of zinc in the motor oil. I learned this the hard was with my 1976 also, as I didn't know any better and the flat tappet cams NEED the zinc. I got 3000 miles out the motor from purchase before it had to be rebuilt (it was old and tired, but still I feel confident this helped in it's demise). Not an issue with your 91 though
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 am

OK thanks guys, I stop worrying now ;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ethanol question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethanol question    Ethanol question  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ethanol question
Page 1 of 1