GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are people doing for battery trays these days?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sleeperwagon

What are people doing for battery trays these days? Empty
PostSubject: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 2:46 am

Didn't know where else to put this, mods please move if it's in the wrong spot.

I pulled my battery for the first time in a while, and discovered that the rust I didn't think was that big of a deal when I bought the car 8 years ago became a big deal in the meantime. The battery tray is almost completely gone. After looking around I have discovered that this is a common issue with the 90s GM vehicles, but not common enough for Dorman to make replacements. Is there an elegant solution for replacing the battery tray in the '94-96 wagons? I found one on ebay that was corroded, blasted and powdercoated, but the pitting looked significant and it was still 55 bucks. The drag strip won't let me run unless I have a battery hold-down, so I've got to do something. But none of the universal trays look like a good fit without lots of modification. Is there a good solution, or am I gonna have to fab up my own battery tray?
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 8:23 am

Just go to any junkyard and find a vehicle that uses a 78 series battery (same battery as your car uses) and grab a decent looking tray from there. This series battery was used in so many vehicles - Any B body, G body most 80-90's front wheel drive platforms, you'll find something.

Car-part.com is a handy online resource

Else, search 78 series battery tray and you'll find many "universal" options
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 9:32 pm

I have a few decent ones.
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I have a few decent ones.

Would you care to share one of them with the class, kind sir? I looked at mine again today in the daylight, and any forlorn hope of wire-wheeling it and saving it with a 55 gallon drum of POR was quickly put to rest. The battery retaining lip crumbled off in my fingers. :/
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 am

If the battery tray crumbled in your fingers (which is made from ~1/8" steel), what does the inner fender that the battery tray mounts too look like (which is made from 1/32" steel)?
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Fix Until Broke wrote:
If the battery tray crumbled in your fingers (which is made from ~1/8" steel), what does the inner fender that the battery tray mounts too look like (which is made from 1/32" steel)?

That's the odd part. Other than a little surface discoloration on the white paint, the inner fender seems sound. There is some corrosion around the bolts, but not enough to be concerning. I don't live in a road salt state, and there is basically no other rust on the car besides the tray. It's almost like it was never even painted to start with.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 8:08 pm

They normally rot out from years of battery acid seeping out of old batteries. The tray soaks it up and slowly falls apart. Mine was also a mess but everything else was spotless.

What are people doing for battery trays these days? Bz42CfF

It was still solid enough that sandblasting and painting made it look good enough to have a battery sitting on it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Yeah +1 on the JY, Any 91-96 Caprice, roadmaster, FLeetwood, or Olds Custom Cruiser is a direct fit for sure. It being Oregon, I gotta think you should find one in good shape in a yard.

As mentioned, one battery spill will kill one
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Yeah +1 on the JY, Any 91-96 Caprice, roadmaster, FLeetwood, or Olds Custom Cruiser is a direct fit for sure.   It being Oregon, I gotta think you should find one in good shape in a yard.  

As mentioned, one battery spill will kill one

A bunch of the local yards got bought out by a big wrecking company up in Portland, and they liquidated the yards and now they just ship parts to a little warehouse here when you order off the website. No B Bodies at all in the two locally owned yards. The one PNP 40 miles away hasn't had a decent one in 3 or 4 years. If I was in the top half of the state I might be OK, but down here it's scant pickings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are people doing for battery trays these days?   What are people doing for battery trays these days? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are people doing for battery trays these days?
Page 1 of 1