GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winterizing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 11:54 am

I’ve lived in Idaho for a few years now, but this is my first winter here with an older car that I am worried about rust on. Before I had a really dependable, low mile ‘02 LeSabre. Anyways, what are yall out there in northern climates who have to daily your wagons doing to winterize: 1: make sure they start, 2: They are warm inside, and 3: combat rust formation? Car is a SC car and only has some surface rust underneath. Do yall use an oil or something to coat the underside?
Back to top Go down
sdowney717

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 7:11 pm

https://www.fluid-film.com/

This works well. You do not want hard coatings that can crack free of the metal and water gets underneath and never dries out.

You have a good rust free underbody, so its worth preserving then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86EBhO6oyc&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXBax-Kh9E
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 pm

I would do an oil based spray like the fluid film or NH Oil or the like....

https://nhoilundercoating.com/
Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 pm

At one point I wanted to coat the underside, but got the same advice you just gave. Unless I am doing a body off restoration, hard to be certain there is no contaminants or moisture on there still. Sealing it with paint or a hard ending product just seals the water and salts in!
I’ll check those products out. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 1:32 pm

I just give up driving mine for 12 weeks, and don't worry about the salt. Once it's gone, the wagon comes back. For that brief period, I have a 2008 Volvo V70 to drive.
Back to top Go down
booster

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 pm

dmg4 wrote:
I just give up driving mine for 12 weeks, and don't worry about the salt.  Once it's gone, the wagon comes back.  For that brief period, I have a 2008 Volvo V70 to drive.

Me too, you can slow down the salt damage, but never keep it from happening, especially if you are in an area of high traffic on a freeway, where the spray goes everywhere. Kind of a corrosive fogger. I guess that is why they test corrosion resistance with a "salt spray test).
Back to top Go down
HendersonRacing514

HendersonRacing514

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 am

I had to do some freeway driving in my LeSabre during heavy snowfall. It was painful to change lanes in the slosh and power wash the underside of your car with dirty salt snow mix...
Thanks to Covid I don’t do that much commuting now and try not to drive in crappy weather. Im not in a position where I can have an extra car though so I have to take my wife’s van.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winterizing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winterizing   Winterizing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winterizing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Wagon General Discussion-
Jump to: