GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3d printed parts

Go down 
+3
Mark 96 Roady
booster
goldwolfnhn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 8:16 pm

ok just getting this set up though I still have to get shipping figured out, but I am making and selling plugs for the hole left in the intake tube after a home plate delete. Due to the limitations of my current printer I can only do solid one color parts for now(I do plan on getting a dual extruder printer eventually) how ever I can try to paint the plugs for an extra cost, but can't make any guarantee how the paint will hold up.

I also have keychains

I have been running one of the plugs on my RMW for a short while now and so far have had no issues

3d printed parts Buick_12
3d printed parts Intake13

All plugs are made to order

intake plug $15 shipping to be announced

emlbems available
solid chevy
chevy outline
impala
buick

colors currently available
black
transparent red
transparent blue

materials currently available
PETG

keychains $5

3d printed parts Keycha10

filled Chevy emblem
chevy emblem hollow
Pontiac
oldsmobile

colors currently available PLA
black
green
ice blue transparent

colors currently available PETG
black
transparent red
transparent blue

Last edited by goldwolfnhn on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
booster

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 9:12 pm

Nice parts, good job. Now we just need you to get a powder metal printer and oven an we can get hard metal parts besides! cheers
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 9:36 pm

well if I wanted to spend about 400 dollars on a 3kg roll of it I could actually print parts that after proper post processing are 100 percent stainless steel, biggest problem is that during the final processing the part shrinks so you have to figure out the shrinkage when designing the part.

The best filament my printer can handle are Nylonx and NylonG

Nylonx is Nylon with Carbon Fiber added to it, while Nylong is nylon with fiberglass added to it, but both filaments are more expensive then the PETG I currently have, but they are both better in both thermal resistance and chemical resistance. the problem with them is that they are both abrasive, so even with a hardened nozzle they will wear out the nozzle much more quickly then non abrasive filaments.

HendersonRacing514 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 am

Have you looked into making the rear grab handle lenses? Also, what about some of the clips for the chrome moldings that are no longer available? Great looking parts by the way!
Back to top Go down
booster

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 am

goldwolfnhn wrote:
well if I wanted to spend about 400 dollars on a 3kg roll of it I could actually print parts that after proper post processing are 100 percent stainless steel, biggest problem is that during the final processing the part shrinks so you have to figure out the shrinkage when designing the part.

Nylonx is Nylon with Carbon Fiber added to it, while Nylong is nylon with fiberglass added to it, but both filaments are more expensive then the PETG I currently have, but they are both better in both thermal resistance and chemical resistance. the problem with them is that they are both abrasive, so even with a hardened nozzle they will wear out the nozzle much more quickly then non abrasive filaments.

That's interesting for sure. I had always heard/assumed that the powder metal, and any other that did solid metals, were dedicated machines.

Shrinkage is always an issue with powder, and castings also if you are doing printed mold patterns. You may be able to fine software that has a shrink allowance setting in it. Similar to the very, very, old school "shrink rules" that pattern makers used in the distant past for making their wood patterns. Just were a ruler with the measurement markings adjusted to include the shrink.

At my last job I used a nylon 6/6 material that was filled with Kevlar that was touted as super high strength, very wear resistant, and also low abrasive on other parts. I still have a couple of old prototype parts laying around here that I use to make some small parts once in a while. The trade name for the material is Hydlar Z in sheets and rods, but I think the material is at least injection moldable, so may also be printable.
Back to top Go down
m00ntan

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 10:20 am

Nice, I have a pickle jar lid in my intake. Fit perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 am

I have many clips available at $5 each
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 6:45 pm

booster wrote:
goldwolfnhn wrote:

That's interesting for sure.  I had always heard/assumed that the powder metal, and any other that did solid metals, were dedicated machines.

Shrinkage is always an issue with powder, and castings also if you are doing printed mold patterns.   You may be able to fine software that has a shrink allowance setting in it.  Similar to the very, very, old school "shrink rules" that pattern makers used in the distant past for making their wood patterns.  Just were a ruler with the measurement markings adjusted to include the shrink.

At my last job I used a nylon 6/6 material that was filled with Kevlar that was touted as super high strength, very wear resistant, and also low abrasive on other parts.  I still have a couple of old prototype parts laying around here that I use to make some small parts once in a while.  The trade name for the material is Hydlar Z in sheets and rods, but I think the material is at least injection moldable, so may also be printable.  

the material I would get is a filament that while it is mostly stainless steel powder, it has a plastic binding it so that it can be used in a 3d printer, but after printing the part it's like ceramics, you make the part and you fire it, with this filament you print it then send it out to be debound and sintered, then the part you get back is all stainless steel.

I will be posting up some images of the intake plug with the chevy emblems I have, and the impala emblem, I can also do wording on the top of the plug but only for the chevy and impala emblems, once I can get around to printing one of each, works busy due to the holidays
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Have you looked into making the rear grab handle lenses? Also, what about some of the clips for the chrome moldings that are no longer available? Great looking parts by the way!

the best way of me doing any of that would be if someone could get me a 3d model of the part that is either already in .STL format and then I can use my slicing program to see if I could make it on my current machine or if it would have to wait till I can afford a dual extrusion machine so I can use dissolvable support filaments
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 7:22 pm

goldwolfnhn wrote:
ok just getting this set up though I still have to get shipping figured out, but I am making and selling plugs for the hole left in the intake tube after a home plate delete. Due to the limitations of my current printer I can only do solid one color parts for now(I do plan on getting a dual extruder printer eventually) how ever I can try to paint the plugs for an extra cost, but can't make any guarantee how the paint will hold up.

I also have keychains

I have been running one of the plugs on my RMW for a short while now and so far have had no issues

3d printed parts Chevy_10

All plugs are made to order, can add wording to the chevy and impala plugs

intake plug $15 shipping starting at $8.50

emlbems available
solid chevy
chevy outline
impala
buick

black
transparent red
transparent blue

PETG

keychains $5 free shipping with no tracking

filled Chevy emblem
chevy emblem hollow
Pontiac
oldsmobile

black
green
ice blue transparent

black
transparent red
transparent blue

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2021 3:28 pm

update
I can accept paypal, aswell as zelle for payment.

All plugs are made to order

intake plug $15 shipping starting at $8.50

emlbems available
solid chevy
chevy outline
impala
buick

black
transparent red
transparent blue

PETG

keychains $5 free shipping with no tracking

3d printed parts Keycha11

filled Chevy emblem
chevy emblem hollow
Pontiac
oldsmobile
Buick

black
green
ice blue transparent
gold
silver

black
transparent red
transparent blue

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 7:17 pm

a new plug design and keychain design

3d printed parts Buicks11
3d printed parts Buicks10
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 pm

My apologies if I've overlooked it in this thread, but what's the done thing for getting, say, a keychain?

I'd have no need for one being as I have a non-LT1 car, but those Buick emblems are still pretty cool looking.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 4:39 pm

key chains are $5 dollars, but if you want me to paint it it's an extra $2 dollars,

pm me for more purchase details
Back to top Go down
Flyingtaco

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 am

Buicknutt wrote:
I have many clips available at $5 each

Can you PM me about these? I don't have enough posts to send one.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 pm

update

Got a new resin 3d printer, so can now make the intake plug without such visible layer lines, though sadly the only resin I currently have that will definitely stand up to any temp short of fires under the hood is sadly more expensive then a plug made on my other machine, bit it's good for up to 266 degree's Fahrenheit, while the filament ones or only good up to about 180, though as I originally posted I've been running one of the first ones I printed in my buick since before the original post in this thread and it's been standing up fine.

the only problem was a test piece I had made, that mounted between the posts for homeplate right above the intake, it was about a 1/2in thick solid, after about 6 months of temp cycling there is a visible sag in it but the plug has been unaffected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

3d printed parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3d printed parts   3d printed parts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3d printed parts
Page 1 of 1