GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I'm committed (in more ways than one)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Oscar73

I'm committed (in more ways than one) Empty
PostSubject: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 12:53 am

Got the junkyard 4L60e off the furniture dolly and up on the "Sherlock" modified chair. Pulled the pan, NO debris. Other than what my brother generated when he cut the dipstick tube on half. Has the usual Pick N Pull ventilated pan, so there's a new one sitting next to the rollaway in the living room.

Will post photos soon.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 am

Anyone know how to remove a recalcitrant 2-4 servo cover? Water pump pliers wont rotate it, screwdrivers won't pry it. I'm about ready to drill holes in it and use a slide hammer...I've got a spare.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 6:44 am

Use a hammer and gently (but firmly) tap it in to help break the corrosion seal along with some penetrating fluid (WD40, Kroil, etc) to help loosen it up.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 am

Tried that, no bueno. Maybe I need bigger grippier slip joint pliers. They're in the rear seat well. I'll let you know what happens.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2021 2:21 am

Well, it's out...drilled two holes and ran a couple #10 screws in... pulled the cover right out. O-ring was beyond saving, broke in half immediately when hooked with pick.

I'm committed (in more ways than one) U6Sw6Hih

But it's also really sloppy inside. The pin wiggles in the piston a bit too much...so after all this work, I gotta buy a new one anyways.

Grrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 2:06 am

Here's that annoying front planetary with the tiny circlip that won't come off...the shaft being splined doesn't help. Anybody have any tricks?

I'm committed (in more ways than one) Jaf5seHh

Parts and work space...

Strapped to the Sherlock Chair...

I'm committed (in more ways than one) DTT6c1qh

Did figure out between Sunday and Tuesday how to get that tricky yellow snap ring out...more shortly along with other questions.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2021 12:39 am

Okay, got the snap ring out...took a couple of YouTube videos and 3 days of swearing. But when I figured it out, like butter.

Got some questions on wear parts...pump slide, looks like chatter marks. Should I replace?

I'm committed (in more ways than one) VhQzi38h

Pump body...the surface is smooth, no catch fingernail...

I'm committed (in more ways than one) TaIxmGah

Rear sprag inside...

I'm committed (in more ways than one) BEBxXYkh

Comments, suggestions?

I'm also having problems with reassembling the valve body...things got moved and there may have been a mixup with springs...is there anywhere that has measurements of length and diameter? Really having a problem with the 4-3 valve...the two pistons fit, but when the spring is added, I can't compress with an inch of getting the cap on?

Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Okay, I fixed the 4-3 valve problem by getting a spare valve body from the local wrecking yard...it was a much shorter and softer spring. Worked a dream.

Now, can I use a later (1998 up) internal wiring harness in my 1994 transmission? Most wiring harnesses I see for sale don't specify a year...it does have the extra pin in the main plug, but can I just ignore that, or remove it?

Thanks for any assistance.
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 8:15 am

Sorry bro, I'd help if I could, but I'm in the same boat as you ( never rebuilt a trans).

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

not a real transmission person myself, but I'm pretty sure that soft springs in the valve body would give a soft gentle less noticeable shift while a stiffer stronger spring might give a more aggressive noticeable shift, or it might be the opposite.

Also with valve body parts from a junkyard tranny I would be worried about how used they are, and personally, if I don't like how a part looks even if it could still be good I tend to replace it but keep the old part just incase as a backup.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 pm

goldwolfnhn - soft springs don't necessarily mean soft shifts. It all depends on the circuit and what's on the other side of the spool (valve). If it's line pressure, a softer spring will make it shift harder whereas a stiffer spring will slow it down and shift softer.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm

Hey, just got back from a very long road trip. In the 4L60E, softer springs always mean softer shifts except for the 2nd accumulator. If you put those springs as they are from the factory, between the piston and the accumulator, a stronger spring provides less of an initial starting position for the piston. This will make it more likely to bottom out under hard shifts and cause a "slide-bump" shift. The remedy is to move the spring to the other side of the piston (against the plate), or shim the accumulator regulator valve to slow the release of accumulator oil, firming up the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts.

I can't see your pics at work but I'll take a look when I get home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm committed (in more ways than one)   I'm committed (in more ways than one) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm committed (in more ways than one)
Page 1 of 1