GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

compatible non-air bag steering wheel?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Grizwald

compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Empty
PostSubject: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi friends,
I have owned the Grizwald('94 Roadmaster wagon) now for 14-1/2 years. The horn has again failed. Will blow on it's own. I purchased a refurbished air bag assy. five years ago and it was quite expensive. I want to this time try something different.
I was an all-makes GM parts manager for many years and I have a memory of late 80s and early 90s larger Buicks having an attractive steering wheel with a rectangular non-air bag horn pad that spanned from side-to-side at about 3 and 9 o'clock. But I can't remember specific applications.

Has anybody tried these and are they a direct bolt on??

Are there any other period Buick steering wheels(less air bag) that are direct bolt on?

I have watched a video of an install of momentary switches in the steering wheel foam but I don't like the looks of that set-up.

I feel very vulnerable without an operating horn and would gladly sacrifice the driver air bag. I have read the posts about installing a resistor to fool the system and maintain the operation of the passenger bag.

Any help is much appreciated,
Dan

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2021 2:23 pm

The Regal T Type wheel is popular. You can also use 80s-90s Jeep steering wheel, they use B body steering columns. Lots of nice three spoke designs, and then stick on a buick emblem.

compatible non-air bag steering wheel? 388054d1501888390-easiest-way-remove-steering-wheel-100_1276
Back to top Go down
Flyingtaco

PostSubject: Re: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2021 7:32 pm

A little off topic, but it's fairly easy to install an aftermarket horn button somewhere that it's not too visible but still plenty usable. Let's you keep your air bag if thats important to you.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Aftermarket wheels are fairly easy to install as well. I have done a number of them, and helped others get theirs right. You must lose the clockspring either way. The resistor is a 2 ohm, 10 watt, or how ever you can get that value.compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Moto_l11
compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Starsh14
compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Momo_w11
Back to top Go down
Grizwald

PostSubject: Re: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am

Thanks for all the input. I found an old post from reverendgreasy describing his use of Grant parts and picture. I liked so much his idea that I copied it completely. It looks and functions great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: compatible non-air bag steering wheel?   compatible non-air bag steering wheel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

compatible non-air bag steering wheel?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Suspension, Steering and Brakes-
Jump to: