GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Empty
PostSubject: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 10:40 am

my 93 rmw is a bit noisy at idle. As far as I can tell, the noise seems to be coming from the mechanical fan. (tow pack) The noise sounds somewhat like a loose belt - doesn't seem to be the issue, nor the alternator. It doesn't make the noise in neutral, just drive. As soon as you accelerate are moving, it stops.

I do recall that when i did a coolant flush on my other wagon, the book said to make sure the mechanical fan stays upright when removed as it had something to do with the oil inside the fan housing?

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a procedure to changing/filling the fan's oil?

I was going to look it up in my shop manual but I have misplaced it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 10:47 am

I don't think the fan clutch is serviceable.

More likely that it is the belt tensioner pulley making noise.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm

it could be the tensioner too - I have considered that. Would be great if it is.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 1:27 pm

fan clutches are replace only, try moving the fan by hand and moving it back and forth while mounted, the fan should have some slight movement but not much.

had the fan clutch go out on my old dually and it made noise sometimes but not always.

Serendipity96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 4:02 pm

checked fan - i can turn it either way like you should. then tried wiggling it by grabbing a blade on each side - i can get a small amount of movement that way but nothing that would scream "i be wonky ass broken"

of course i still have a brand new idler pulley for a 94-96 i never installed, and it isn't the right part for the 91-93. also kicking myself for all the parts i didn't think to pull off my old 96 before it was junked.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 11:24 pm

The 96 parts would only be for resale since you have a 93.

The sound may also be the alternator bearings starting to self destruct. The alternators are known to loose the bearings. It happened to me once, and I barely made it 1/2 mile to an Autozone for a replacement alternator.

Get one of the automotive stethoscopes so you can pinpoint the noise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?   Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noisy Metal/mechanical Fan at Idle in Gear?
Page 1 of 1