GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is this?

Go down 
+5
uxwbill
gmtech
Cadet57
81X11
AlmostaBuick
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:45 pm

On my '77 Buick, just below the center of the windshield is a galvanized female plug (?) held on by two screws that looks like a place to plug in a radio antenna.
I have no idea what it is.
Laughing Maybe it has something to do with why my new A/C compressor failed. No

Does anyone know what it is?

What is this? 3343osn

What is this? 4f479
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Wonder if it's tied to the old antenna-in-the-windshield option so many of these cars had?

I need to eyeball under the hood of the brown 79 Electra.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Maybe provisions for a CB antenna? Pretty sure that was an option on the Electra, like most other cars in the 70's Laughing
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

81X11 wrote:
Wonder if it's tied to the old antenna-in-the-windshield option so many of these cars had?

I need to eyeball under the hood of the brown 79 Electra.

I think thats probably it, but I thought those were discontinued before 1977.
And I THINK the LeSabre /b body cars were all new that year.
I wonder why they quit windshield antennas?
IIRC, they worked very well for both AM and FM.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 7:50 pm

That is indeed the in-windshield antenna attachment point. A small pigtail from the windshield would attach here.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Yep. I found an explanation here: http://www.g3gm.com/t5941-intergral-windshield-antenna

I wish my windshield had a built in antenna, instead of the power fender mounted mast thats stuck at half mast.
Apparently, some newer cars have the antenna in the back glass along with the defroster wires.
Hell, I don't even have cupholders in my old brick.
When I was a kid, I washed cars at an Olds/ Chevy dealership, and I remember the '68-72 Vista cruisers had the in glass antennas, but the base Cutlas S with the Chevy six had a mast on the right fender. I seem to remember that the luxurious top of the line Olds 98 had a power antenna.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:20 am

AlmostaBuick wrote:
I think thats probably it, but I thought those were discontinued before 1977.
And I THINK the LeSabre /b body cars were all new that year. I wonder why they quit windshield antennas?
GM kept using the windshield antennas in some things at least up until 1984...my '84 GMC Sierra came from the factory with an AM radio and has one in the glass. Interestingly, the antenna cable is connected directly to the bottom of the glass.

My dad swore up and down that the in-glass antennas weren't very good. He installed conventional antenna masts in the fenders of both that truck and his older grey Chevrolet 4X4. I was too young at the time to know if there was any real difference.

I'd be fairly surprised if any replacement windshields are still made with the antennas.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
sherlock9c1

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am

Other companies use them. I know Toyota has put antennas in the front or rear windshields on at least a few cars.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm

uxwbill wrote:
I'd be fairly surprised if any replacement windshields are still made with the antennas.

Yeah, they are. Unfortunately, I wound up with one when I didn't really need it when I had a mobile windshield service replace the windshield in my Grand National a few years ago. They claimed it was all they could get at the time. I just said, "whatever". Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
buickestate
buickestate

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Unfortunately, I wound up with one when I didn't really need it when I had a mobile windshield service replace the windshield in my Grand National a few years ago. They claimed it was all they could get at the time. I just said, "whatever". Rolling Eyes

my 79 malibu coupe has the windshield antenna, works great. it would be the same glass as your grandnational.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 am

my lesabre has the in glass antenna. I prefer it to the power antennas (because they break and can be damaged). It also gives a cleaner look. I have had no problems with reception whatsoever in my lesabre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is this? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is this?   What is this? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is this?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Boxies and Related Issues-
Jump to: