GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies

Go down 
+5
cadillac kevin
87customcruiser
Krash Kadillak
sherlock9c1
AlmostaBuick
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Empty
PostSubject: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Are they 6 X 9?
Or a weird size like Fieros and some other GM cars?
I have a killer pair of 6X9s I'd like to use, along with a newer radio/ CD..... What a Face
Even though the OE (?) low end cassette player works as well as could be expected, it isn't GM, so why keep it?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

i thought they were like 4x10 or something weird. Better take it apart and check.
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 am

Just judging by the holes for the sound, I'd say 4x9 or 4x10......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 am

They're 4x10 according to Crutchfield's fitment guide.
Back to top Go down
87customcruiser

87customcruiser

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 pm

My 87 Cruiser has the 4 X 10s in the rear. Not too many choices out there for replacements, not a lot of room in there for larger magnets.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanx, guys. I thought that was the case.
Maybe I'll steal the 4X 10s from my Fiero GT before I sell it.
Or maybe I'll just buy some new ones.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 pm

I'd do 6x9s in boxes in the cargo area. (I've seen this done on a few in the junkyard). 4x10 is a goofy size and they never have good sound quality (you'd be better off with 4x6s or 4x6 plates)
Back to top Go down
68scott385

68scott385

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm

FWIW I'll throw in my .02 as I recently replaced the rear speakers in my '88. I put 6x9s in, and it took some gentle massaging. The factory speakers IIRC were 4x7 or 4x9, it was an odd size.

FWIW the front are 4x6. I put in a set of Pyle 3-ways under the factory spreaker grills.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Kicker still makes a fairly decent 4x10 speaker for your application.

4x6 are garbage from almost everyone. The only exception I have EVER found was the Polk dB 4x6 component plates.
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2013 3:00 pm

They are 4 x 10's. I put 4 x 6 Polk Audio in my '89. Magnet size is constrictive in that sail panel so that became the key to replacement decision. Took car to local audio shop with panels out to figure out what fits. 4 x 6 PA's sound good. I'll install a Infinity BassLink in back to compensate for relatively little bass response from these 4x6
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 am

I installed the Kicker 4 X 10's they sound ok, alot better than the 1 stock speaker from the factory, but the larger magnets require removing some metal from the D piller. just FYI
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Crutchfield sells some surface mount pods.  Might check to see if you could use one of them to mount larger speakers on pillars , kick panels and doors. RetroPods are available in three sizes for ~4 & 5" round and 6'X9" ovals.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:48 am

cammerjeff wrote:
I installed the Kicker 4 X 10's they sound ok, alot better than the 1 stock speaker from the factory, but the larger magnets require removing some metal from the D piller. just FYI
I found some Pyramid 4X10 three way speakers at a very friendly price. I will have to remove some sheet metal to get the large magnets to fit, but I'll have a much better sound once I get it done, while keeping the factory look.cherry 
I used these same speakers in my VERY LOUD Fiero, they offer a big improvement over the OE junk.
I'm not looking for a concert hall/rock concert experience in an old  car, but the stock speakers were crap when they were new 35 years ago.Rolling Eyes

Now for the front speakers and the radio......
I have a newish radio/CD I want to use, but I don't know who or how the one in the car was installed.
Thankfully the wires on the new radio are all labeled.  
The radio in the car isn't GM; if it were, I may have wanted to keep it.
Its kinda cool listening to those old cassettes, while they last.
The old cheesy front speakers need replacing too.
I'll have to figure out how to get the radio in/out, but the front speakers should be easier than the rear ones, IE: no surgery. What a Face
I hope.
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Keep us informed on how that turns out. I'm going to have to replace my entire system soon. Going to stick with 4x10's in the factory location in back, replacement dash speakers up front (what size?), and I'd maybe like to add some unobtrusive tweeters somewhere as well. For the head unit, I have the old 2-shaft style radio, but I don't really want to go with an 'old look' there - too many limitations. It will have to be a single DIN, with CD and sat radio.
Back to top Go down
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 am

AlmostaBuick wrote:

The old cheesy front speakers need replacing too.
I'll have to figure out how to get the radio in/out, but the front speakers should be easier than the rear ones, IE: no surgery. What a Face
I hope.

Curious if you have gotten around to finding good speakers and installed them to the dashboard.  My right dash speaker went so I'm trying to find a good replacement.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 11:46 am

Just wanted to let everybody know that the rear speaker replacement/upgrade is on the back burner for now. The better speakers have much larger magnets than the OE parts, so even though they're both 4X10, I will have to do a fair amount of grinding to get the needed clearance.
With the temps being in the mod 90s and humidity to match, plus almost daily rain showers, I'm only working on my car when it just won't go!
When the weather gets a bit friendlier, I'll finish this project and post some pictures.
 sunny
Back to top Go down
68GS400

68GS400

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 4:44 pm

I completed phase 1 of speaker replacement on my '89 Buick Estate. As mentioned before, 4 x 6 Polk Audio speakers in the sail area in back and matching PA 4 x 6 in top of dash. I also installed 5 1/4" Rockford Fosgate in bottom of front doors to increase front sound stage.
The 5 1/4" is the maximum diameter for the Buick armrest just clears the speaker. It took some measuring and cutting to get it to fit, but a 5" hole saw did a nice job of cutting the door panel. The RF are wired in series with the PA for ~ 8 ohm impedance.
I'm driving these with a Kenwood HD head unit. Pretty clear sound from all 6 speakers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies   Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear speakers on 77 up Boxies
Page 1 of 1