GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Muscle

Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon Empty
PostSubject: Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon   Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Guys -

Question. I have a '92 Caprice Wagon 5.7L L05 (non-LT1)with the tow package, rear air shocks, 77k on the odo and it's in near mint condition. It's also been meticulously maintained and runs and drives perfectly (I love this thing). I've come to the point however where I'm going to need to tow a car trailer and was wondering if the wagon can be modified to do this safely, as opposed to selling it and purchasing a vehicle just for towing. I'd be towing a featherlite aluminum trailer that weighs around 2,500 lbs carrying cars that range between 3,500-4,500 lbs.

I was thinking the following but love some opinions.
- Reinforced custom fabricated hitch for the wagon
- Brake controller
- Detroit tru-trac w/3.55 gears
- Additional transmission / Oil cooler

My thought is that I'd rather upgrade my wagon then go out and purchase another vehicle as the wagon is more versatile and fits my needs perfectly right now aside from towing.

Thoughts or Opinions?!?

Thanks - Mike
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon   Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Mike

Sounds like you have this pretty well thought out. I know there are guys that tow with similar setups, "COL" is one guy that comes to mind. He has a medium size Airstream trailer and has no problems towing. He has a 92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser with the same engine, and gears in the same ball park.

There will be other guys who will be dropping in.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon   Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm not sure if the Caprice is the same as the Roadmaster, but you are approaching the top of the recommended RMW envelope of 7,000lbs, even with a weight-distributing hitch and 750lb bars (don't forget sway control and disconnect the air compressor for the shocks). That said, I have towed that kind of weight with my old 92RMW without any problems.

I wouldn't worry so much about the rear end as the transmission. In my experience, that's the weak link. I'd certainly change the fluids and an additional tranny cooler wouldn't hurt, but if you are doing serious distances, I'd consider having some HD components installed (like the sunshell). Electric brakes are a must, but make sure the car's brakes are in tip-top shape as well. Same goes for front end linkages, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon   Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing a Car Trailer w/ a '92 Wagon
Page 1 of 1