GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trim idea...thoughts?

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
SpringerNC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

Trim idea...thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:06 pm

I am about to be on spring break and I am trying to wrap my head around things to do next week other than be fussed at by High Schoolers or things in need to do to my house, or that first dreaded grass mow of the season.

Though I am sure there are general maintenance things to do on the RMW I am an artist, so Aesthetics it is first.

I was planning to pull all the trim off and clean it up. then I decided I would pull it off as well and the black rubber trim(which I have already done and play with some plasti-dip and paint it all black....

NOW today I have had a new idea that I have not seen anyone do. I am thinking of pulling off all the wood trim(the metal stuff not the vinyl) and using a wide black tape/pinstripe to run down the side of the car. I am imagining it would take the width of electrical tape. After that continuing with my idea of plasti-diping the wide chrome trim black, and see what I get.

Has anyone ever seen some one cover up the trim holes in this manner? Seems like it would work, and the more I stare at my wagon the more I think it would look kinda cool.

Just wondering if anyone knew of a pic with a similar idea? Either way I am going to go for it, and I'll be sure to post pics.

May take me a year or more to get the 3M tape goo off the chrome trim!
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:12 pm

SAID WAGON OF AWESOME....named the "surferwagon" by my wife.....so that's what it will be called....
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 pm

No offense, but those are two bad ideas.

Underneath the chrome are plastic clips. If you break any of those clips, you could have a problem finding replacements as they are not made anymore. If you want to polish up the chrome, do it in place.

Underneath the woodgrain trim are studs that hold clips, that hold the trim. If you want to use pinstripping, you will have to grind them down, and there are a lot probably the best part of 20 on each side. If the trim is peeling, it can be sanded down and painted in place, many of us have done it.

You have a nice looking wagon

Tom
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Ahhhh! Thanks! I was not aware of the plugs. Dang!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Listen and learn Preston,Tom and many others here have done what you are about to do many,many times.They have already made the big mistakes so read up and learn.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 pm

There are plenty of things you can do. It's good that you want to do some sprucing up, and even better that you asked. Unfortunately, one of the thing you have to deal with, is many parts you can't get anymore except at junkyards or hoarders (there are plenty of them here, including me).

You can get that rubber trim in rolls, which some of us have done. It works out good.

Keep at it. You'll be giving us tips on things you've found. It happens all the time.

Tom
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Listen and learn Preston,Tom and many others here have done what you are about to do many,many times.They have already made the big mistakes so read up and learn.

Ain't that the truth! I've broken those clips that you're talking about and nothing available; had to improvise.
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 am

Best to clean up that trim and the pealing mess in place and not take it off? That stuff is really anoying.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 8:00 am

Preston,

I was thinking I removed the trim on one wagon, and did it in place on the other.  But, now I realized I removed it on both.

My RMW, I removed all trim, sanded and peeled, painted.  Eight years later it still looks good.  You should be able to take it off with not much problem.  The front "spear" is held on by these little plastic inserts.  When they drop between the inner and outer fenders, you won't find it or a replacement.  That's where I had a little problem, but there are solutions.  The trim around the wheel well bends easy and sometimes the screw are very hard to get out. My Chevy wagon wheel well trim has a slight kink in the trim, not enough to bother me. One of these days, I'll find another one.

I would get a door panel remover tool, looks like a forked screw driver.  Use that for the front spear.  Also, get a plastic putty knife to pop off the trim.  Plastic doesn't damage.  There are a few screws that you will have to remove also.  I think there are one or two on the inside of the door and one by the tailgate.

Take your time and don't rush.  I'm sure you will have some little clip break, but you'll learn to deal with it.  There are enough of us who have the common clips if you find you need some.

Tom
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Woah I didn't know the clips were no longer available - I threw all mine away when removing the lower trim....sorry guys.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 pm

bamalongroof wrote:
Woah I didn't know the clips were no longer available - I threw all mine away when removing the lower trim....sorry guys.

To my knowledge they are not available, some obscure place may have a few, but I doubt it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 pm

First rule of old car ownership/obsession-save old plastic trim mounting clips!!!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
First rule of old car ownership/obsession-save old plastic trim mounting clips!!!

Throwing those clips away, is punishable by a severe beating.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 pm

WB4's look great,....
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 pm

I will remember that for the future... If I ever get my wagon back from the painter he promised it again today.
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Ive decided for now to leave the stuff in place, I am going to try and sand/clean up the wood trim in place and then paint it...The more I mess with the more I realize it is never going back on the car as good as all the grime and dirt has it attached right now!

I still think my idea in my head for the delete of the trim is a cool one, but I am far from ready to fill holes and be mess with paint and body work.

I am going to attach the chrome trim 3m goo from the black molding with a heat gun and get it all ready for some paint this week. I hope I can have some cool picks to share of my mistake or great idea by the end of the week if the flood leaves and I get to see the sun again.
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Spring break so far has been filled with taking kids to the doc for streep throat and broken collar bone. But I did manage to knock out a little time with some plasti-dip tonight. Your welcome to hate it. But I think it looks cool...if I change my mind, just peel it off.....

Trim idea...thoughts? IMG_20140424_201514550
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Certainly looks 'different'

thankyou for letting me hate it.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

might look cool with just the stainless blacked out and the wood trim left alone or painted a brown shade.
Back to top Go down
SpringerNC

SpringerNC

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Certainly looks 'different'

You're very welcome!

Maybe I can convert you once I have all the steps complete....

Merica....freedom to hate people covering up perfectly good shiny things.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:11 am

SpringerNC wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
Certainly looks '

Maybe I can convert you once I have all the steps complete....

Merica....freedom to hate people covering up perfectly good shiny things.

canada,..freedom to chuckle at,.. but try and understand other people's automotive "visions"

Nick
the owner of the only all orange wagon visible from space,. (yes i need glasses)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trim idea...thoughts?   Trim idea...thoughts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trim idea...thoughts?
Page 1 of 1