GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raising the front end

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dturco

Raising the front end Empty
PostSubject: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 12:33 pm

I know everyone else wants to lower these cars, not me. I did search and found plenty of lowering advice and never once did I see a how I raised my wagon, or when asked a couple of times raising but never a completed answer for raising or at least keeping stock height with additional spring rate.

Stock spring is Moog 5402 Free height 17.65", installed height 12.00", rate 338 lbs., load 1907 lbs.

I would like to raise the front of my 93 RMW 1/2"-3/4" and firm up the suspension to around 550lbs rate. I have used the police spring in a 98 Lincoln Town Car; however, that was a bit firmer than I would've liked. The spring was a Moog 80090. It was to firm for what I wanted for that car and this wagon too. Additionally  the 80090 specs out at a free height of 14.38" and installs at 11.75" 1/4" lower than stock for the wagon. Rate 710 lbs., load 2034lbs.

Now the Moog 81096 looks good for rate at 555 lbs. but it too sits too low at installed height 11.50" and is also shorter at free height of 15.01", load of 1950 lbs.

All of the higher rate springs sit too low , and have a shorter free height. I fully admit I do not completely under stand the free height's significance, I suspect it's a ride quality thing, but again I just don't know.

The rear has Moog 623's and Gabriel load levelers with the external springs on the shock. Lowering the rear is my least favorite option.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on a spring that will do what I'm after please share.

Edit: More research shows a 1977 Lincoln Continental has a Moog 9102 Free height 17.63" Install height 12.00" Rate 498 Lbs. (This looks good) Load 2850 Lbs. {Unsure if this really matters} I think it just means I could carry more weight at the 12" height. All that really matters is Spring Rate.

If anyone knows for sure this is wrong please let me know, otherwise this seems like what I will try.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 pm

put some 9c1 springs in the front,.

one of the other wagon guys will tell you the best rear for height,. its been discussed to death here,.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Nick is correct. The 9C1 springs should be easy to come by and should give you the height you are looking for. Regarding the rear, you could add airlift backs to your stockers and keep the car pretty even with the 9C1 fronts.
Back to top Go down
dturco

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you for your responses. The rear already has the Moog 623 and load levelers installed. The 9c1's would lower the front end by 1" ...on paper at least.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 9:59 am

Do not forget to ADD 0.030 inches of shims for every 1/2 inch of added height to compensate for the camber change. Measure the original height at the axle to the top of the wheel opening to eliminate tire variables.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 5:39 pm

fred why you replying to 3 week old threads by a guy who knows better than anyone,. on paper at least,.?

you that bored>?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raising the front end   Raising the front end Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raising the front end
Page 1 of 1