GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what part do I need

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

what part do I need Empty
PostSubject: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:36 am

I'm swapping over from a mechanical radiator fan to dual electrics, maybe a third "push" fan on the front for the tyranny cooler. Thanks to Fred (Ruphrax) I have four fans to work with. Two of them have a two prong connector molded as part of the motor housing. I will be needing matching connectors.

Any idea what part number I might be looking for? or if a matching connector is available from advance/autozone/napa etc? Past the connector I can wire it back to the relays/ECM, but the connector would make it clean.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

Gary at innovative wiring has a kit. It ain't cheap, but it is complete and clean looking installation.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 pm

lakeffect wrote:
I'm swapping over from a mechanical radiator fan to dual electrics, maybe a third "push" fan on the front for the tyranny cooler.

How many ton are towing with this car? fans don't do much over 30 mph,. push or pull,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 pm

I won't be towing at all. It's a 400 block with 450 horsepower. I'm getting rid if the one motor mechanical fan for a few reasons. One is to get the fan out of the path of clean cool air to the air filter on the TPI system. The intake sits directly behind the fan in a hot air stream.

It's likely I'll soon go to some form of scooped air and will gain an unobstructed path and more room in front of the filter's snout. for whatever baffling I'll need to contain the air
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:16 am

lakeffect wrote:
I won't be towing at all. It's a 400 block with 450 horsepower. I'm getting rid if the one motor mechanical fan for a few reasons. One is to get the fan out of the path of clean cool air to the air filter on the TPI system. The intake sits directly behind the fan in a hot air stream.It's likely I'll soon go to some form of scooped air and will gain an unobstructed path and more room in front of the filter's snout. for whatever baffling I'll need to contain the air

Motor might be rated at 450hp,. but the amount of time you'll be spending at full throttle, will be a small percentage of total driving time,.INMHO the tranny cooler will not need a fan.

"intake behind fan in hot air stream",.."get the fan out of the path of clean cool air",....
I,m confused,...the fan is heating the air? Question

Nick
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:24 am

yeah , I worded that wrong, I'm trying to get the AIR FILTER into a path of clean air, as it is behind the fan. So I'm trying to get the fan out of the path. and Isolate the hot air from reaching the intake so the cool air can get there instead.

This picture shows the issue better as to what is happening now with any air going to the filter. It sits directly behind the fan shroud.

what part do I need Wagonfest09openhood

Last edited by lakeffect on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:37 am

ah ,. a pictures says,.....
so you need the mba billet aluminum top plate for the rad, and 2 electric fans ,. and an SSRI,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 am

In answer to your original question, your local NAPA store can hook you up with a "Weather Pack" connector. A bit pricey but well worth it. Make sure you get all the bits as everthing comes seperately, housing, pins, seals etc. You can get them from 1 up to 6 pins IIRMC.

Bill
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 am

had a chance on an ebay item for six pieces, but got there too late... sold all six together for $3.50
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 am

I passed a NAPA tore on the way to work this morning. They had a rack full of plugs connectors etc.

handipack part HP4430 was what I needed. THey had one, will get another.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm

I've been thinking of wiring in a test circuit before actually disconnecting the mechanical fan. That way, I'll know the circiut actually works properly before tearing it down

Please give me your thoughts on this

From the ECM run the primary and secondary fan wires out to the relays, with appropriate grounds etc. In stead of hooking up fans, hook up two bulbs/lights as a test load, As the engine warms up if one bulb lights up, followed by the other shortlu there after, the I would know the circuit is working.

Yes? NO? Any flaws in logic or additional points to be made here?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Sounds like a plan to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what part do I need   what part do I need Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what part do I need
Page 1 of 1