GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Wagon was lonely........so

Go down 
+12
stewzer55
benn
phantom 309
Sprocket
brokecello
Mark 96 Roady
MalibuSSwagon
rabalc
bamalongroof
DBeaSSt
81X11
kadonte
16 posters
AuthorMessage
rabalc

rabalc

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:05 pm

After seeing what you did with your RM I would think you will have no problem getting the Fleetwood repaired.  Reminds me of my first car, 1966 Caprice 2 door ht, had pinholes like that, but the frame was rusted so bad the lower control arm let loose on the way to the drive in with six of us in it.  Wish I had that car today.

Here is a pic of me in 1985 working on my pinholes lol! My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 NCM_0210_zpsg77exc4d
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 am

phantom 309 wrote:
Do want you want,..  you will anyway,.. 

A Jack Kerouac moment, or sage advice of Parmenides of Elea? study
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:00 am

rabalc wrote:
After seeing what you did with your RM I would think you will have no problem getting the Fleetwood repaired.  Reminds me of my first car, 1966 Caprice 2 door ht, had pinholes like that, but the frame was rusted so bad the lower control arm let loose on the way to the drive in with six of us in it.  Wish I had that car today.

Here is a pic of me in 1985 working on my pinholes lol! My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 NCM_0210_zpsg77exc4d

Thanks for the input, at least I have a pretty good frame. Great picture by the way
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 pm

kadonte wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
Do want you want,..  you will anyway,.. 

A Jack Kerouac moment, or sage advice of Parmenides of Elea? study

more towards niki tolstoy,.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 am

that rust is nothing on the fleetwood. looks like a clean car to me. cut and weld or pack and fill, its not that hard. id say you got a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 pm

I'd say that one is a keeper. After what you did to the Roady this one should not be a challenge. For me the fact that it has an excellent service history outweighs the minor rust.I'm also a big fan of really clean interiors, as they are much more difficult to repair than some minor rust. My Fleetwood was a one owner car that was well cared for, and 4 years later, it is still a very reliable car.Besides, if you got a rust free car, what would you do over the winter?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 am

I had another thought. Your color (any color,really) looks great with the factory chrome wheels. I got lucky and got mine for $300 delivered from a junk yard in Pittsburgh to my house in Florida. Also, I really love the slightly wider white walls of the Runway Enduro tires. They ride great, and at $70 or so each are a smokin' deal.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
I had another thought. Your color (any color,really) looks great with the factory chrome wheels. I got lucky and got mine for $300 delivered from a junk yard in Pittsburgh to my house in Florida. Also, I really love the slightly wider white walls of the Runway Enduro tires. They ride great, and at $70 or so each are a smokin' deal.

Thanks for the input. It is a nice car, and looking on-line produces nicer conditioned cars but out of the price range that I would be willing to pay. Dollar wise it seems that I got a pretty fair car for the model and year. So on with the project with it this winter.
I would love to find a set of chrome rims at that kind of price point. Any I have located have been too expensive to make it feasible.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Make sure if you do find some chrome rims that you get the center caps as well. The non chrome centers fit, and look virtually the same, but the outer ring is chrome for chrome wheels, and brushed for the brushed wheels. When I first bought mine I didn't want to spend the extra $75 for the 4 center caps, but once I put the brushed centers on the chrome wheels I changed my mind and bought the correct ones. Boy am I glad I did because I found out later they are like hen's teeth. And, I re read your wagon build last night again, and I had an idea that by now you may have figured out, but I thought I'd mention. Any time you do automotive painting, always have a second gun just for priming. It doesn't even have to be an expensive gun, but as you obviously learned the hard way, a little bit of primer in your top coat really does not look so good!
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
Make sure if you do find some chrome rims that you get the center caps as well. The non chrome centers fit, and look virtually the same, but the outer ring is chrome for chrome wheels, and brushed for the brushed wheels. When I first bought mine I didn't want to spend the extra $75 for the 4 center caps, but once I put the brushed centers on the chrome wheels I changed my mind and bought the correct ones. Boy am I glad I did because I found out later they are like hen's teeth. And, I re read your wagon build last night again, and I had an idea that by now you may have figured out, but I thought I'd mention. Any time you do automotive painting, always have a second gun just for priming. It doesn't even have to be an expensive gun, but as you obviously learned the hard way, a little bit of primer in your top coat really does not look so good!

I now have two guns...................and a few new words in my vocabulary, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm

late to the dance, but looks good, just fix the holes and move on. Agree 100% on the service history part.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

3.42 gears? Is this a V4P (tow pack) car? If so, it's pretty rare.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
3.42 gears? Is this a V4P (tow pack) car? If so, it's pretty rare.

Well that's good to know, cloud lining is getting more silver as I go along. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Sprocket wrote:
late to the dance, but looks good, just fix the holes and move on.  Agree 100% on the service history part.  

Great Mr. Sprocket, Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: My Wagon was lonely...so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 pm

I think you got yourself a great deal, as already mentioned a nice interior and solid maintenance history are pluses. Sure there are cleaner rust free examples out there...but your going to pay for them. Another option is to find a southern car in the same colors and transfer your soft bits onto it...and then sell your "rusty" one with the southern cars soft bits. Of course if you elected to go that route you would not have a winter project and we would not be able to enjoy your build pictures/posts....so just go ahead and fix that one Smile

Check the SPID if its a factory 3.42 car then its fairly rare and in the fastest color! Factory chrome rims are a must...they will pop against the DCM.

Can't wait to see the progress pictures and the end result.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Maybe just a little more of a project than I had hoped for. Looking about under the Fleetwood's hood I saw that the drain tube from the heater box was MIA. Also, one bolt on passenger side exhaust manifold and at least two on the drivers side apparently took off with the tube to parts unknown. I had decided to remove the inner wheel wells to allow me to get into the bolts with a welder more easily. I thus far have the passenger side out. Not in to bad of shape, a little raggedy up by the battery tray, but good enough for who it's for. Then I started to wonder where did all the excess moisture go if not down the tube to terra firma. Peeling the front passenger carpet back enlightened me fully. So here's a pic or three to start this journey..................

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1460_zps5007bb64

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1454_zpsfd495b4f

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1454_zpsfd495b4f

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1447_zps843de832

I doubt the factory telephone is going to work.................

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1450_zps8b77c5ef
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

I cleaned and sealed both wheel wells then sprayed them with rubber sealant "as seen on TV" stuff. I'm hoping this stuff is as tough as it is advertised. I found a bargain sale on the sealant and have enough to do the whole car underneath. I can tell so far that it sticks like glue to the wells that I sprayed, so the initial feeling is good. The car has had all new front suspension put on it, new KYB shocks and brakes being done this week, and the remainder of the rust areas addressed. The first piece of the replacement metal has been put in the front passenger floor. There is two more pieces to be fitted and that PIA will be as done as I am going to do. The white coating is a commercial Bostik moisture core adhesive/sealant used in the marine field. A vendor left a case of sausage sized soft tubes of it, and once applied it goes nowhere;remains pliable, and is not affected by temperature or moisture. Sloppy as heck to put on with a putty knife, but the end product should keep the panel and surrounding metal good for a long time. Posted are a few progress pictures. Not pretty, but I,m tryin'.

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1467_zps7b91b752

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1468_zpsb3aad96c

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1479_zps6b37ccd2

And a couple areas in the back seat by the drain hole and fender well inner lip............

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1484_zps6c51d266

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1485_zpsb9853f89
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:16 pm

perfect,...as long as water stays out,. passengers stay in,.. its all good,.
put down a layer of ice shield before the carpet,.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 6:47 pm

And so it came to pass that the Fleetwood is as done as I am going to get it. All the issues I could find were addressed as I found them. All in all it is a good well taken care of vehicle I believe. It sports a new front suspension, front shocks, brakes, water pump, power steering high pressure hose set, new tires all around, rear brakes, all rust areas (2 total) repaired and sealed, rust scale removed, sprayed with rust converter, sealed and undercoated with rubber sealant. Body has been compound buffed, polished and waxed. All chips have been touched up, Vinyl top cleaned and treated with 303. Clean Carfax one owner before me, and service records provided by his Cadillac dealer. Interior leather treated and conditioned, feels good. Now it's on to the next project search........
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1552_zpsum5prern
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1553_zpsftrrcrd9
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1555_zpsdjoddx9k
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1560_zpsktusrm4j
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1564_zps8vmrvbo8
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1566_zpskwbjcy2z
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1571_zpsxnvvtdxw
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1580_zps9bav1gej
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1593_zpszyma66dz
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1594_zpsyzuqaydz
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1640_zps37bgbv5h
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1641_zpsvzunculc
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1642_zpskxmwsrrq
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1644_zpszw2xzxgt
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1645_zps7t42ziue
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1647_zpsekjxaiq3
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1649_zpsusll2rz8
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1650_zpsfml8ryxd
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1651_zpswgvvfg1i
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1652_zpsnu9oupl5
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1653_zpsydu5yo9r
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1654_zpsggcylywn
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1658_zps938scoql
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1659_zpsfmal4h3g
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1661_zpsjgnaht0v
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1665_zpsbynucbtg
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1666_zpssvtwdody
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1667_zpswe9pjn9v
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1674_zpstih2emlq
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1682_zpsjqb7bbpj
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1683_zpsuwhnnqds
My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 DSCN1684_zpssbca59uf

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 8:23 pm

You've been busy this winter and the Caddy looks great!

Tom
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 pm

you got her all fixed up and looking nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice job,..kudo's for your patience, and attention to detail,.

I have so wanted a fleetwood for so long,.

white with burgundy first choice,.

dcm and burgundy like yours second choice,.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 9:18 pm

two questions

1. what color did you use of the rub strips
2. how did you prep the surface of same?

Mine were painted silver and they are all flaking off now.

Car looks fantastic btw
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:51 am

Very nice ride. I see even the Cricket digs the new Caddy.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Andebe wrote:

Thanks, ya can't kick it without the Cricket, afro
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Sprocket wrote:
two questions

1. what color did you use of the rub strips
2. how did you prep the surface of same?

Mine were painted silver and they are all flaking off now.

Car looks fantastic btw

Prep was scotchbrite pad and prepsol type product.
The color is Black Night Metallic, a Rustoleum can product and the clearcoat wat Dupont Chromaclear 7655.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Nice job,..kudo's for your patience, and attention to detail,.

I have so wanted a fleetwood for so long,.

white with burgundy first choice,.

dcm and burgundy like yours second choice,.

Thank you Mr. Phantom.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 pm

buickestate wrote:
you got her all fixed up and looking nice Very Happy

Than you sir.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 11:39 am

kadonte wrote:
Andebe wrote:

Thanks, ya can't kick it without the Cricket, afro
Still laughing...That should be a t-shirt or at least a bumper sticker.
Back to top Go down
kadonte

kadonte

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 3:35 pm

My wagon and my fleetwood became lonely...........................

My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 IMG_20150707_172924969_zpsrrkhebfp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Wagon was lonely........so   My Wagon was lonely........so - Page 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Wagon was lonely........so
Page 1 of 1