GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Endless console swap question...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Boomhauers_93Wagon

Endless console swap question... Empty
PostSubject: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Can I swap a cluster out of an 1996 SS into my 96' RMW?

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Boomhauers_93Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Can anyone hook me up with a cluster diagram for a 96' SS and my 96' RMW? So I'm assuming that some of the wiring has to be done to accommodate the 96' SS cluster.

What needs done as far as the tach?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 pm

All you need is in the 96 B Body FSM. If you don't have one already for your car, you really need one. It will have the pin outs for the wiring for both clusters.

However... the SS cluster is a different shape. No big deal if you are good at fabricating mounts and a new face plate surround (see other member's installs of Z28 clusters). Also... the SS cluster's tach is strange. It takes a 4cyl input signal. You'll need to make some sort of circuit that takes your tach signal (pin A13 in the red PCM connector, btw) and feeds the correct signal to the SS cluster. Might want to search the ISSF to see if anyone ever came up with a converter. I don't recall one.

I would suggest the Z28 cluster swap. Here's one that is in a Roadmaster housing with a custom face plate:

Endless console swap question... Gauge2-1

And, here's one with a wood grain face in Crovo's car:

Endless console swap question... BillCrovoCluster

Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 1:58 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
All you need is in the 96 B Body FSM.  If you don't have one already for your car, you really need one.  It will have the pin outs for the wiring for both clusters.

However... the SS cluster is a different shape.  No big deal if you are good at fabricating mounts and a new face plate surround (see other member's installs of Z28 clusters).  Also... the SS cluster's tach is strange.  It takes a 4cyl input signal.  You'll need to make some sort of circuit that takes your tach signal (pin A13 in the red PCM connector, btw) and feeds the correct signal to the SS cluster.  Might want to search the ISSF to see if anyone ever came up with a converter.  I don't recall one.

I would suggest the Z28 cluster swap.  Here's one that is in a Roadmaster housing with a custom face plate:

Endless console swap question... Gauge2-1

And, here's one with a wood grain face in Crovo's car:

Endless console swap question... BillCrovoCluster

Is there a good write up somewhere as to what is involved in this? I like my roadmaster wagon but I do miss real gauges and a tach. I did search thru here and the ss forum and only found the roadmaster into the impala thread. Camaro parts seem easy to find.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 pm

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t5300-z28-gauges-with-prndl-just-hit-the-front-porch?highlight=my+prndl+cluster+just+hit+the+porch

My favorite mod after the Corvette fuel rail covers and Impala wheels... Wink

Got mine from Gary Meier : gmeier1@nycap.rr.com He makes custom clusters, just tell him what you want....lots of options.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
frederickflintstone

frederickflintstone

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 pm

81X11 wrote:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t5300-z28-gauges-with-prndl-just-hit-the-front-porch?highlight=my+prndl+cluster+just+hit+the+porch

My favorite mod after the Corvette fuel rail covers and Impala wheels...  Wink

Got mine from Gary Meier :  gmeier1@nycap.rr.com  He makes custom clusters, just tell him what you want....lots of options.

-Mike

thanks for the link. I was more hoping to do it myself though. in close to 40 years of wrenching I have only twice paid anyone to do work for me. (regreted it both times) I do it myself or it don't get done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Endless console swap question...   Endless console swap question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Endless console swap question...
Page 1 of 1