GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear vent window repair.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

Rear vent window repair. Empty
PostSubject: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am

All,

I am having a problem re-attaching my rear vent window. The Glue that attached the two little aluminum hinges has given up. I have combed several related threads and found that you can use rear view mirror adhesive. Sounds credible. But when I go to re-attach the mirror to the car the hinges pop off as soon as I try to close the window. As soon as the rubber seal begins to push against the window there is a TINK sound and the hinges pop off.

I have cleaned both surfaces to surgical levels. I used a sparing amount of rear window adhesive just like you would with a rear view mirror and they just pop off. Is there something I am missing here? Is there a better adhesive? Do I need to rough up both sides. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am using a Permatex kit. Is there a better kit out there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 6:14 pm

How long are you letting it dry before trying to reassemble it?
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm

The first time I waited about 1/2 hour. The packaging said to wait 15 minutes.

The second attempt I waited over night about 8-9 hours.

I am going to start over from scratch. I must be missing something. After reading the full instructions from the permatex website they suggest using sandpaper to prep the metal surface. I am going to try that and see what happens.

If that fails then perhaps Gorilla glue. (corvo's suggestion)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 9:10 pm

On one occasion, I used Goop, and I have heard that JB Weld is supposed to work. I do not know if Gorilla glue will adhere to glass, but if it will, you could try it as well. You have to make sure it is sanitary, which you appear to be able to accomplish. I put Goop on the hinge, and used a couple clothes pins to hold it overnight. The JB Weld may be better than Goop. I believe the hinges are steel, not aluminum. Roughing up the hinge could help adhesion. The black glass is actually a ceramic, and the only thing that will scratch that is probably diamond. Clean is good. I used masking tape to outline the hinge location on the glass, and used that as a guide to place the hinge.

If you can not get it to stick, I have a good window.
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 pm

toomanytoyz,
You were right on the mark! Thank you very much. Gorilla Glue for the win! cheers

Fred, I am amazed how well Gorilla glue attached to the glass/ceramic. You add a small amount of water to one side and clamp the item down as tight as possible. I let it dry over 12 hours with the clamps in place. Thanks for the heads up on a replacement though.

The first picture is of the glass before re-attachment of the mounts. If you look closely there is a bit of a shadow on the glass of the lower attachment point. I also used 1000 grit wet/dry paper to clean/scuff up the surfaces. After sandpaper it was gone. So perhaps there was something still there during the first go-around. However clamps and Gorilla glue worked killer. There was a bit of overrun from the gorilla glue. It expands out as it dries but a little razor blade action and it all cleaned up. Pictures are below.

Glass without hinges.
Rear vent window repair. IMG_5084
The opening.
Rear vent window repair. IMG_5098
After re-attachment.
Rear vent window repair. IMG_5107-1
It even opens correctly.
Rear vent window repair. IMG_5105-1
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

hey is there a part number for the pins that go on the inside of the vent window?.. or they discontinued?..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm

WagonLover wrote:
hey is there a part number for the pins that go on the inside of the vent window?.. or they discontinued?..
Are you referring to the hinge pins at the front edge of the window, or the roll pin at the latch hinge?
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:09 pm

front edge.. i already matched up the roll pins and got them..
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 pm

I do not know if they still have them at the dealer. If someone breaks a window, they should be able to get them at the JY with the window. If you have a P-N-P yard near you, and they have a wagon, you should be able to get a pair. I do not know how long, or what diameter they are, so I can not suggest a replacement.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Glad that worked out for ya. Smile
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 am

i found the pin.. it was under my spare tire.. still gonna go to the yard and pick a couple of those pins out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear vent window repair.   Rear vent window repair. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear vent window repair.
Page 1 of 1