GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!

Go down 
+9
nstg8r
bamalongroof
convert2diesel
phantom 309
Skier
Fred Kiehl
scoffman
Wagoninabox
autoarcheologist
13 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Empty
PostSubject: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

Hey gang,

I've had a few wagons in the past, mostly BMWs.  But I'm now considering picking up a Roadmaster Estate to replace our 2004 Tahoe for towing and people hauling duties.

I found one locally that has everything I want except the hitch.  Only 2 owners, 130k miles, 94 so it has the LT1 and it has the tow package.

Unfortunately it has issues with the 3-4 shift.  I can at least drive it and see what else is wrong, and the price is right, but even with a mechanical engineering degree auto transmissions are a mystery to me.  I've only ever owned 3 cars with an auto.

I have to admit I like the idea of having a newly rebuilt trans in it if I'm going to be towing.  I can build it how I want, but again don't know what to ask.

So, thoughts on buying one with a bum trans?  It needs a few other trim items but most of the ones I have seen do.  I'm more interested in reliable for now, I can fix trim down the road even if it's hard to find.

Here's a link to the car:  seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4621947803.html

Oh and it's beige, but hey sleeper!

Thanks!
Ian
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 2:49 am

Ian:

You could be looking at $3k for a tranny rebuild or a rebuilt.  They are about the same cost out here.  If you can pick it up for cheap it may be worth it.  I suggest Ed's Transmission near northgate.

They know what the repair will be as they have been quoted a price and that is why they may be offloading.  Could be a gem with a mild rebuild.

Did you notice the front end bumper cover damage? I think you may be able to talk them down if it sits longer. The bumper cover will snap back into shape okay but you will need to locate a new stainless trim for the cover so it can go back to its original shape.

Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 am

Have you driven it yet? Is the issue with the 3-4 shift or the shift from 2-3rd? If it's the 2-3 shift and if it is only a slight pause during the shift, or prolonged shift, then throw a bottle of Lucas additive in it and drive it till it fails.

Here is a thread with some useful information about the 4l60e transmission: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t6394-common-4l60e-problems

If you can install the transmission yourself you could save some of the cost. but I would still expect the cost of a rebuilt transmission to be over $1000.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am

It cost me $1300 to have my 4L60 (not e) rebuilt, and since then, I have found a really good shop that will do it for under $800 installed (look for hot rods or dragsters in the parking lot). In bigger cities the cost is somewhat higher than small town shops, so look around and get prices before you decide. If you want some upgrades, it will cost you a little more. It can be cheaper to get the one in your car rebuilt rather than going to a place that just swaps them with an on the shelf unit. The swap out guys charge you an average price to rebuild instead of repairing what is broken on yours.

If you are going to put a hitch on it, the class III is no longer available. There are drawings on the forum if you want to search for them. Then you can have one fabricated. Once in a while someone finds a used one, and those are the only ways you will get one.
Back to top Go down
Skier

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 3:03 pm

THe best deal from a reputable nationwide company is through Rock Auto. Cost ~ $1,100 plus whatever shipping is involved. 3 years unlimited mileage. You can ask around you to see how much someone will charge to have it installed. These are better than new, hard parts and updated clutches.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I thought a rebuild might cost more. The quotes I got to rebuild the GM trans in our BMW were about $3k. I could install it myself but just don't have time these days.

I also appreciate the reminder about therarity of the hihitches. I saw a nice RMW in Philadelphia that had a hitch but it must have sold as the owner never contacted me.

Apologies for the slow response, I'm camping in Eastern Oregon with spotty reception.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Wagoninabox - thanks for the note, I am based in Portland but keep an eye on other markets. I might take you up on your offer to chat to learn what else to look for, and might need help looking at one in Seattle.

I can't PM yet or would have replied.

Thanks!
Ian

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 pm

autoarcheologist wrote:
I'm camping in Eastern Oregon with spotty reception.

Thanks!

Is that a dalmation?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 am

It all depends on what you intend on towing.  If all your towing is a pop up trailer or flat bed under about 4,000 lbs., than the stock setup is fine.  If your trailer is a full 5k-6k with all of the aerodynamic qualities of a grand piano with the lid open, than you have to seriously consider some internal upgrades and re-programming.  The 4l60s are not considered the strongest out there.

The issue I ran into is that most performance trannys are designed for the go-fast market.  Building a towing transmission is significantly different than one built for the track.  The latter is built to take the torque of hard launches and aggressive shifts while a tow trans has to withstand long periods of heavy power transfer, typically with the convertor locked up.  At the very least you should be looking at an up-grade torque convertor with the aggressive clutch material but keep with the lower stall speeds.  Another issue is full power downshifts while hill climbing.  This can be addressed for the most part by re-programming, but can put a lot of strain on the clutch packs and internal hard parts.

Any trans guy worth his/her salt can work with you to build a good solid trans that can take the abuse.  Or just find a good 4L80E and do the swap.  In stock trim, it can handle virtually anything that the LT1 can put out.  Regardless of what you do, double the cooler size.  Even if the car was an original tow pack car.  The stock coolers were designed by accountants.

Bill
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 am

After further discussions it turns out we both owned Alfa Romeo Berlinas, which was a crazy coincidence. Turns out the wagon is a 2 owner car, all maintenance records, but a little tired. So the seller sweetened the deal a little by throwing in a spare Alfa Romeo engine he no longer needed after selling his Berlina, so we made a deal.  Now I just need to get up to Seattle to pick up the car, hopefully next week.  This week I need to prep our trailer for a rally this coming weekend.

I read here that you can tow a RMW with the rear wheels on the ground if you leave the engine running with the trans in neutral.  True?  That would be cheaper than renting a full trailer.  I'm not sure if I should drive it home with the 3/4 clutch out.  He claims it will shift up into 3, but I'd rather not end up on the side of the road.

Here's a few shots for now.  First up is the new trans, then finding a hitch, redying the steering wheel, a new grill and some trim repairs.

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! 00l0l_10

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! 00e0e_10

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! 00g0g_10

Can't wait to get started!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 am

Well congrats then! Keep us posted on the outcome on the tranny fix.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 1:34 am

I will! Time to research some local builders. I'm not in a hurry since we still have a perfectly good Tahoe, so I can have them rebuild the existing trans, or just swap it.

If you want to meet up when I pick it up let me know! I'm not sure if I'm coming up during the week or the weekend of the 20th just yet. Would love to pick your brain, and I'll buy the beer.

Cheers,
Ian
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Just noticed you own Alfas I do also not a Berlina but 3 spiders and a GTV 6. Jeff
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Ha, small world! I had a 71 spider for 10 years, have had a few Berlinas, a GTV project and Alfetta GT project, and used a Milano 3.0 and 164 LS as daily drivers. GTV6 is probably the first car on my list to replace the Berlina. It's one of the cars that got me into Alfas, and I've almost owned a few, just never found the right one at the right price!

3 spiders, I think you need to let us help you keep them exercised!
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 2:29 pm

I think we need another t-56 wagon ;-)
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Most who flat tow these cars remove the driveshaft. How long of a trip is it to pickup? I bought my Fleetwood with a burnt 3/4 clutch and drove it 100 miles home in 2nd gear.
Congrats on the new wagon!
Back to top Go down
more cubes

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi Ian, I do not have enough posts to reply to your PM.  Here is your transmission/towing fix:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/46349629222.html Cool

Metro Transmission in Woodland,WA is the local builder of choice for this transmission and who I used for my car.  Mark is the owner and will steer you right.

Last edited by more cubes on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks for the transmission recommendation. I saw your car, looks really nice and priced fairly, but I'm in the mood for a budget rebuild and really wanted a Roadmaster. Otherwise I agree it would be a great tow beast, but I'd have to change the rear end.

As for the trip, it's about 150 miles. I suppose I could do it, but not sure I want to risk it. I've done dumber things...

Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 8:08 pm

The driveshaft only takes a few minutes to remove and is easy to get under there when the wagon is on a tow dolly.

Your Tahoe should be able to handle it fine.

Just do it right and mark the driveshaft remove the 4 bolts watch out for the needle bearings (don't loose them) and slide it out of the trans. I understand you can get a plug for the trans so it will not lose fluid on your tow. It was discussed here a few weeks ago you can do a search.

Mine was a Florida car that made its way to Michigan and it was towed it from Michigan to Alabama. It was not without incident I blew a tire on my tow dolly. I should have replaced the tires before the trip being 8 years old also blew a tire on the towed car once when towing an Alfa back from Tuscon that was not fun either. So make sure the rubber on the road is in good shape.  Jeff
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I think i saw that thread. Someone recommended putting the car in neutral with the engine running but I new to check on that. I will also check into the plug and removing the driveahaft.

I hear you on good tires. I put LT tires on the Streamline as I don't trust the current crop of Chinese made ST tires. 10k miles with no issues on them.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Just take the bolts out of the U joint caps, pop the joint out with a pry bar, move the shaft over, and tie it tightly to the exhaust. Use something like a ratcheting strap. No need to remove it so you have to plug the tailshaft.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 am

phantom 309 wrote:
autoarcheologist wrote:
I'm camping in Eastern Oregon with spotty reception.

Thanks!

Is that a dalmation?

Incontinence.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:16 pm

The seller sent me the option codes today, it has G80! Woo hoo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!   Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking at a RMW that needs a trans - suggestions needed!
Page 1 of 1