GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]

Go down 
+3
lakeffect
BigBlackBeaSSt
cbshea13
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cbshea13

cbshea13

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Empty
PostSubject: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Wasn't much, but Tim set me up with a pair of courtesy lights for the front doors.

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

I want to keep my car stock he says!! LOL!  Thanks for stopping by Chris, an extra hand is always appreciated.  

So I started taking the tank down and realized that it was full!!  So I used the fuel pump to drain the tank.  Worked pretty well if I do say so.

I replaced the fuel filter (for grins) and used same pump.  The check valve seems to work fine.  I did replace the seal where it connects to the sender, but it is not a o-ring.  I large rubber seal.  I also tried to seal up the schrader valve with a thin layer of silicone grease, but that will be replaced soon.  Not sure what I really changed, but it now comes up to 46 psi when pump is running, but car is off (no vacuum).  It does leak down after you shut it off.  Currently an old used regulator is in the car.

We will see what she is like tomorrow in the AM

As for the "keeping my car stock," can I now blame Tim for all my future endeavors?  (Yes, I have something about the "stock" look of things.  When cover songs come out, I almost always prefer the original versions...and I am the same with cars.  But this may be is changing.  Yes, it's only a few door lights.  But what's next?  Eh, we'll find out soon enough.

That said, I do need to pick up some gray paint for the lights, so they match my interior.

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] IMG_20140901_192609577_HDR

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] IMG_20140901_192412799_HDR

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] IMG_20140901_185703815_HDR

Hmm, I guess I may need two more for the rear doors.  Also, I would like to get the trunk/third seat lights to operate on the interior lights as well.  But that last part is a task for another day.

Edit: Video in a reply...

Last edited by cbshea13 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Looks good Chris!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm

So did you find the orange and White wires easily enough?
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 pm

lakeffect wrote:

Ha, I found them without taking the door panel off - they were right under the power window switch covers. The back doors seem to be a bit more work (have to take the door panels off).
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 pm

And the Mods begin..... Snicker snicker!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 am

cbshea13 wrote:
lakeffect wrote:

Ha, I found them without taking the door panel off - they were right under the power window switch covers.  The back doors seem to be a bit more work (have to take the door panels off).

Now here's a new member and contributing right away! I have a Caprice Wagon and I have a set of lights. There was no way I was going to take those door panels off, as they break often enough; probably more so with the Roadmasters. Will give it a go this week, I'm guessing Dave will be doing it also soon.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 am

It was done already, in time for Wagonfest in July.

I beat you to it, old man!

Dave
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

Did you take the panels off Dave?

tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 am

Yes, because I was changing the fabric on the panel and needed to fix the window seal.

Do similar lights also exist for the rear doors?.

I have a second set of lights , but they match the front door curvatures, not the rears. There seems to be an available spot on the rear doors as well, but I've never seen a set of courtesy lights there on vehicles I've looked at.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 am

Dave

On my 94 Caprice, there are no blank covers to remove for the lights in the rear doors only the front.  So, I have the rear lights that I can't use and, they are different than the front.  I will bring them to VA, if they will work for you, you can have them.

cbshea13 wrote:
lakeffect wrote:

Ha, I found them without taking the door panel off - they were right under the power window switch covers.  The back doors seem to be a bit more work (have to take the door panels off).

Chris, did you have to remove the switch panel?  If you did, how did you do it?

tom
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Dave

On my 94 Caprice, there are no blank covers to remove for the lights in the rear doors only the front.  So, I have the rear lights that I can't use and, they are different than the front.  I will bring them to VA, if they will work for you, you can have them.

cbshea13 wrote:
lakeffect wrote:

Chris, did you have to remove the switch panel?  If you did, how did you do it?

tom

On the passenger side, I removed the 4 screws (one behind door handle, one by map pocket and 2 in the armrest). I then popped the arm rest off, and used a small screwdriver at the front of the switch cover. I "felt" around for the release tab with the screwdriver and popped it up. I then used a putty knife to pop the bottom of the door panel...when I noticed that a long A(?) frame ran just inside the armrest. I ran the wire through from the light with long needle nose, and pulled the end of the wire from the other side (takes looking and would be easier with 2 people). Plugged in the light, reconnected battery and put the screws back in the door after popping the panel back on.

On the driver's side, I did remove the screws, armrest and window switch, but had no need to disconnect wiring or remove the panel. I used the long needle nose to sort of direct the wiring from the light to a point where I grabbed with a 2nd needle nose set. Pulled wiring through, snapped in light and reconnected battery to test light. All worked, so I reconnected everything and was good to go.

I do need to pop my passenger side off to put one stupid metal tab back in...lol. When I do I will take pictures. I will also take before/after of the rear doors when I do them.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks Chris

Tom
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I did it without completely removing the panels as well. Just removed all the fasteners and swung the panel out enough to get in there and route the wires and connect them.

I got lucky and found dark blue front lights in the yard out of a caprice. Took those all apart and cleaned them and put some roadmaster lenses on. Just need to dye the rear gray ones I have to dark blue.

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] IMG_20140731_162157_zpsf05ac6bd
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm into the passenger side, ended up removing the panel as it need clip repair. Hopefully driver side will be easier.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

The clip is in the front of the controller unit. If you use something wide , like a 1/2 chisel, at about about a 45* angle, push the chisel down and back . There is a simple spring clip that holds the front in. Once you pop it up, the thing will simply pull out. There is no clip in the back, just a locator tab. Tom, Yes I will gladly take the lights from you at the October Wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Ok, so a big thanks to Tim! Received a set of lights for the rear doors of my wagon. Unlike the fronts, these are red in color (both hopefully will be painted by Wagonfest Mid-Atlantic, but no promises). The left rear door took 10 minutes...give or take. The right side, a bit longer - due to recording my progress!

Pardon any fingers, hands and feet in the shots. Oh and shaky camera and the cuts on my hand(s). All in all, a much easier time than the fronts, even though the wiring was wire tied to the door (harder to connect, just my opinion!). (Mic would wig out at times messing with volume...but is a phone! lol)

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Looking good!!
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 8:56 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Looking good!!

Thanks! You're going to get me in trouble. LOL! By the way, WOW, much brighter at night with all 4 on in the car.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 3:44 pm

this is how the disease starts.also i found the door panels never seam to fit as tight once removed unless you put new door panel clips (chrismas trees) on
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Listen to John. He has a acute case of it.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Mods are just like Lays Chips.....no one can have just one.

Installing a set of door pulls isn't very hard either. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]   So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I finally modded something.....[Updated 9/13 - rear doors done]
Page 1 of 1