GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ramps & Stands

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stretch

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Planning on working on suspension soon (once I get all the parts in hand) so I was thinking about stands, etc. and none of the local tools stores have decent ramps or stands for a reasonable price, so I thought up my own design. I made sure they're super strong!

Ramps & Stands DSCN4329

Pull out the runways and ramps and tada... room to work!

Ramps & Stands DSCN4331

12" wide, 10" tall, somewhat portable, and it fits all three of my vehicles. Just have to paint them now, figure out the front and rear chock-blocks, etc.

Ramps & Stands DSCN4332

I laid out the locations for each vehicle on the floor and marked it on the concrete with permanent marker for future reference. I found out pretty fast that the front and rear wheel widths are different! Should have known that...

I've rolled under all the cars for a visual tour, and spotted a few things that I need to look into fairly soon.

I'm soooo pleased with myself... my wife just shakes her head and palm to face???
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 pm

certainly gives you room to work.

I see the sides look like 3/4" plywood and the ends look like 12 in pine boards.

i'm wondering

1. What the load rating of the plywood is
2. how strong the pine is
3. how would the boxes work as bass tubes when you aren't driving over them
Back to top Go down
Stretch

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 pm

They're constructed from 3/4" G1S plywood on 3 sides (top and 2 sides, with the bottom open) with 2"x10"s @ 12" o/c cross-wise glued (PL400) & screwed to all 3 sides @ 3" o/c.

Stands have 2"x10" @ 10" o/c and 2"x10" blocking in length-wise direction as well.

Both are super strong, but sorry, not appropriate for sub enclosures, ha ha.Razz

I haven't installed the outer guides yet which will keep you on the runways. 2" tall plywood straps with corner guards to let the tires slip along (squeal a bit?). I am also installing temporary locks to keep the whole assembly together while driving up on it. Just unlock them, and slide out of the way.

I've had my Odyssey and Infiniti I30t up on them too. It's more than a little un-nerving pulling up on them Shocked, but I creep them up, and have the door open to see better. It would be advisable to have another person guiding you up.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

You are doing suspension work?

Well that setup is all fine and good until you jack up the front end and the front wheels move inward. You might want to make the front stands a lot wider to account for that.
Back to top Go down
Stretch

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm jacking the car up (slightly), then drop it onto floor stands to do any suspension work. I made these to accomplish a few other things, and allow me to get the car safely up on the floor stands as well.

Good point on the suspension "swinging" in when raised, then being a challenge when it's then dropped back down. I'll definitely be watching that when I get to it. Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ramps & Stands Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramps & Stands   Ramps & Stands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ramps & Stands
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Wagon General Discussion-
Jump to: