GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Empty
PostSubject: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 4:15 pm

So as some of you know, my wagon didn't make it to VA due to a weird low oil pressure issue. I'm starting to run out of ideas and don't know where else to go. This started post intake manifold gasket replacement. It should also be noted that post intake I didn't quite get all the air out so it got hot, but not into the red "danger zone" at any point. It was also only hot for about a minute, shut the car off, cooled it off, reburped the system, Retimed and off I went no more temp issues. Driving home the next night (car sat 24 hours to let everything dry/set) once the car reached temp (180F) oil pressure would drop, ultimately leading to a stall. Checked the usual suspects, grounds, etc no issues put a mech gauge on it, it still moves down at temperature. There is ZERO noise that would be out of the ordinary, no metal on the drain plug. So began the replacing of parts. As of now I've done the following.

-Fresh oil/filter. Mobil Super 5-30 and a Delco filter
-New block pressure sender
-New dizzy with ICM
-known good, but used ESC

None have gotten me running reliably again. I would also like to think the minute or so it got hot would not cause a head gasket issue since I have good temperature currently. It should also be noted that over the summer the motor was removed and the top end refreshed with a new cam and injectors. Motor has appx 2500 miles on it since the rebuild with no prior issues except the aforementioned intake job.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 6:46 pm

The stall would lead me to investigate a vacuum leak,.resulting in slow idle resulting in the low oil pressure,.?

does it stall all the time? or just warm?

is it a roller cam engine or flat tappet?

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 6:47 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
The stall would lead me to investigate a vacuum leak,.resulting in slow idle resulting in the low oil pressure,.?

does it stall all the time? or just warm?

is it a roller cam engine or flat tappet?

Just when warm and in drive, pressure holds fine at temp in park. Stock roller LO5
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 6:57 pm

turn the idle up a little,.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:03 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

Via the dizzy? I didn't think there was an idle screw on these.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm

It could be that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump is sticking open when it gets hot. The spring could be weak when hot as well. Changing the oil pump is going to take most of the day. Remember to remove the distributor cap, and the trans dipstick before lifting the engine. I also replaced the nylon coupler for the distributor drive with a metal one, so I never have to worry about it again. The crank must be in the 6:00 position to get the pan out. You also have to remove the oil level sensor before dropping the pan, or you will break it off.

I had a pressure relief valve stick closed, and it squeezed the oil filter gasket out, then sprayed a wedge shaped stream of oil about 20 feet out of the side of the car.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

i just read you changed the cam,.. ?

you recalibrate the chip?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:44 pm

What cam?

Did you change the oil pump when you had the engine out?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
What cam?

Did you change the oil pump when you had the engine out?

L98 cam. Did not replace the oil pump, cleaned out the screen and inspected. Reinstalled.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 2:31 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

i just read you changed the cam,.. ?

you recalibrate the chip?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes I did. Chip was tuned professionally for the new cam, injectors, and AIR delete.

Going to order a new oil pump and hope for the best. I *really* don't want to do another motor Sad
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 5:46 pm

fwiw my oil pressure gauge on my car reads 0 at idle when warm. i run a thicker oil-10w40 or something like that.

why would it be stalling though? the tbis use the oil pressure sensor as redundancy to trigger the fp if the fp relay goes. i think... fred knows for sure.

maybe if your fp relay is shot and its relying on the oil pressure sensor and it senses 0 when warm it cuts out the fp?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 am

Thought about the fuel pump relay, especially since it's in the tangled weave of oil pressure switch, ICM, and ESC. However, until this issue my gauge has always reads around 30 at idle and 60 under load. So I think the only role the FP relay plays here is that it's correctly shutting the car off when the gauge drops to under 10 psi.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Turn the idle up a little,.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 3:21 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Turn the idle up a little,.

Going to try that on a spare TB base I have. This is a new experiment for me so I don't want to mess up my "good" stocker. Thanks for that link BTW.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Did you replace the cam bearings when you installed the cam?If so,were you careful about the oiling hole alignment?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Did you replace the cam bearings when you installed the cam?If so,were you careful about the  oiling hole alignment?

I didn't do bearings under the thought of "not broken, don't replace" The old cam didn't have any excessive wear so we decided to leave the bearings alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm

TURN UP THE DAMN IDLE!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 9:43 am

Welp, its not the idle. Turned it up a little, pressure still comes down. Guess next step is an oil pump.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I did an oil pump, and it was not all that bad. The major work was installing the pickup on the pump body. Get a metal connector for the pump drive from the distributor. The nylon ones tend to crack and break. I hope it cures the pressure problem.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah, RA has the metal coupler so I ordered one of those as well. Just wondering what size I'll need though. There are two sizes, 5/8 and 3/4 for the pump sizes. Wonder if its a car to car thing.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Welp, its not the idle. Turned it up a little, pressure still comes down. Guess next step is an oil pump.

whats the idle rpm now in gear>?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 6:16 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

whats the idle rpm now in gear>?

Bumped it from about 970 (according to the timing light) to about 1100.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 pm

I believe the correct one is the 5/8 inch. I think the 3/4 inch one is for the big blocks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 pm

1100 rpm in gear?

wow,.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 9:17 am

phantom 309 wrote:
1100 rpm in gear?

wow,.

Like I said, around there. I moved it back to 970 when I noticed it didn't make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...   Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...
Page 1 of 1