GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I have a 91 Buick RMW with manual seats. Yes, it is the dreaded base model.

From a 96 RMS I pulled a PRISTINE set of maroon leather power seats and the rear seat as well.

I already know there is a complicated alteration I will have to endure for the back seat. The 91 Wagon seat is smaller and has a distinct fold-down for the back. Resizing the leather to fit the bottom shouldn't be a problem and the back will have to be modified to fit the fold-down. Keeping the center arm rest will hinder the back laying flat but it is worth the compromise to me.

The front seating is what concerns me.

Is the power connector the same? Is there an adapter available or will I have to go back and get the harness from the 96 and re-pin the source end?

Also ... Looking for a nice pair of seat control for my armrests for the front. Maroon/red color -and- I need the harness for them too.

Thanks All
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

I presume the seats you pulled from the 96 are not the Limited seats? If they are, the plugs ARE different. Otherwise, I think they're the same.

You will need the whole harness for the passenger power seat as there is no wiring there for it. I used to have a body harness laying around with dual powers but I think it's gone now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:57 pm

They have the lumbar and heated seat option.

The switches and the harness are keeping me from getting this done. I won't have the rear seat started until after the front one is installed. If another set of drop-in leather/power seats in near this good of shape comes along I will forgo this alteration project.

I hate to do this because these seats are AMAZINGLY CLEAN! Not even a wrinkle in the leather. They look as close to showroom as can be.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 pm

I have a passenger side seat/window switch panel in red. It looks darker than the Dark Red Maple. Price $30 shipped.

The 96 switch connectors are different from the earlier models, so you would have to splice the connectors to the harness for the switches. You might find it easier to get the harness from an earlier model. You could replace the entire cross car harness, and save teasing out the individual wires for the seats. You would only have to splice the seat connectors, and would save a lot of splicing for the controls, and the main attachment to the body harness. The other side is that you would have to run the harness into the rear doors as well as the fronts.
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I have a passenger side seat/window switch panel in red. It looks darker than the Dark Red Maple. Price $30 shipped.

The 96 switch connectors are different from the earlier models, so you would have to splice the connectors to the harness for the switches. You might find it easier to get the harness from an earlier model. You could replace the entire cross car harness, and save teasing out the individual wires for the seats. You would only have to splice the seat connectors, and would save a lot of splicing for the controls, and the main attachment to the body harness. The other side is that you would have to run the harness into the rear doors as well as the fronts.

I have intended to go back up to Flint and get the harness from the 96 that the seats came from. There are some 92's up there as well and I can get the harness for the window/seat switches from there.

It appears the only thing left to do then is to re-pin the source end of the 96 main harness if it is different from the 91 as the supply end will plug back into the seats.

Are you saying I am missing something here? I'd rather know now than get into the project and find that another 40 minute drive. is needed.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 am

I thought this out a little more, and came up with the least messy way to do the job. The seat, door lock, and window switches all have a different style of connector on the 96 vs. what is on the 91. You will be splicing every connector except the seats with a 96 harness. If you use a 91-93 harness, you will only have to splice the seat connectors. If you get a set of seat connectors (seat side) from a 91-93, you would be able to install the harness intact, and only splice into the seat side of the new seats you have.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:39 am

Power lumbar and heated seats mean you have the Limited seats. They use a different connector than the 'standard' seats. If you can, you'd be best off getting the harness from the donor car. And it should be the whole harness, from fuse block to doors and seats. Takes a lot of time but makes your job MUCH easier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 am

That is the plan.

Thanks guys.

I plan to photo document this project. Maybe someone else can benefit from the experience (or my lack of).
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

I may be able to help you a little, as I had a seat change similar to yours.

If I understand correctly, your wagon has power seats on the driver side and manual on the passenger.

Here is what you could do, it may not be the final solution, but it will get you going. I assume your old seats are junk, cut off the plug from the old driver seat with at least 6 inches of wire, 8 if possible. Now splice in that pigtail to the new seat harness. Do not cut off the other plug, just splice in the pigtail color to color. You can buy a splicing device that allows you to tap into the wire without doing any cutting. You now have 2 plugs on that seat.

Now you can plug the new seat into your existing harness. You will have all seat functions with the exception of heat and lumbar. You can deal with them later.

Now for the passenger seat, you can remove the power seat rails from the new seat and replace them with the manual seat rail from your old seats. Now you can mount the passenger seat and it should function as your passenger seat does now.

This buys you time and gets you into the new seats. I may be missing something but I don't think so.

When your ready to do your rear seats PM me and I might be able to offer some assistance.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Actually, manual all the way around.

But I appreciate the input!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:41 am

If you seats are that bad, swap both power rails for the manual rails and install. Then you can take your time wiring and getting the switching, which will be a little bit of work.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
The Roadmaster

The Roadmaster

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:18 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
If you seats are that bad, swap both power rails for the manual rails and install. Then you can take your time wiring and getting the switching, which will be a little bit of work.

Tom C.

What a great idea. I could benefit by getting the new seats in now and figure out the wiring later.

Drawback .... I hate to do things twice. Of course, when it comes to my wagon it's a labor of love so it wouldn't be as bad as doing the same thing twice.

Good Lookin Out Tom, Good Lookin Out.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Your wagon can't be any more manual than a 1a2. Tilt wheel and air for luxurys.

I had my complete 91 interior power options (no passenger power seat) installed in a 95.See my wagon of the month write up.

Unlike you I was able to keep the door panels and switches. The 1a2 was all fused up for the options.

I am now installing Bonnieville seats,and my drivers door panel will be for the windows and mirrors only. I suggest you get the panels and switches from the sedan as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wagon Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Help   Wagon Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Help
Page 1 of 1