GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ebay clears

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Well the clears i wanted from Amazon were back ordered for weeks. So I got these.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/191037103030?cmd=VIDESC

Silly me for buying off my phone. In the pictures it looks like it has deflectors. In person, they do not.
Another downer is high beams blow, no provisons for cornering lights, and you have to cut and splice to get the side market turn signal to work.

The plus side is they are bright on low. I only have one installed because it's too cold to finish the other.
Driving and seeing the difference side by side is cool. I put the drivers side in, then had the wife drive past me while I drove another car. It let me see how bright they are to on coming traffic. Surprisingly, it wasn't blinding. I can't really aim them as there is no adjustment.

I'll post more when the other side is installed. I have pictures but can't upload from my phone

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm

I have the smoke ones. The adjustment comes from the stock housing that you installed them into. I agree it is limited. I am seriously considering installing the HID lamps in them. If you think the brights suck with clears, they are horrendous with smoked units.

thers'a HID swp over thread around here somewhere. I recall some minor trimming and wire swap had to happen to make them work in our cars.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 5:35 am

I have the hids installed, but it's only on lows. It's got the dual filament bulb, so there is a small halagon bulb installed next to the his bulb.

I think we have two different models. You dont install these in the stock brackets, it's one piece. There is a bracket for the corner light that you install, the put this in. It uses the two side bolts to secure, but that leaves very little up and down/in out. The aim isn't bad. Is a little lower than what a factory manual suggests, but acceptable
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 8:06 am

Ok, photos
Ebay clears IMG_0164_zps25fd4d6a
Low beams before
Ebay clears IMG_0165_zpsb92d6c0b
High Beams before
Ebay clears IMG_0167_zpscac79a9b
Low beams with fog lights
Ebay clears IMG_0168_zpsc330e8b4
Just fogs
Ebay clears IMG_0180_zps94b9a657
One HID installed vs standard lights. Not sure why the other light looks so dim though. In previous picks, it was bright.
Ebay clears IMG_0182_zpsd7a4ac37
Light output on the road
Ebay clears IMG_0178_zps5933f25a
New light housings
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Well now, wtf. It won't run both lights. It will run one or the other, but not both at the same time. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Well now I know. With both lights unplugged I have 13v power. One light plugged in, i only have 9 volts available to the other light. After I let the first light warm up and plug in the second, the car idles up from trying to keep from dying, then the chime goes off non-stop. So, aftermarket light issue or car issue?
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2015 9:25 pm

well, asking around, it shouldn't draw down this much power. Possible issue would be the ballast. Anyone else here running HID with stock wiring, not the innovative wiring kits?

Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 6:52 am

On the plus side, I installed some 9007 bulbs to get me by. The light output is much better than stock. I don't feel like it throws light as far, mainly due to limited adjustment. I also noticed, when wiring to 9007 settings, the high/low was reversed. Not sure why, but the light when down when putting on highs. I swapped high/low wiring, so now I got extra bright lows and so so highs.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

i've read the wiring was reversed on these bulbs Innovative makes a harness for them. Not too many guys jumping in here if you have some photos of the 9007 output it would be great my lights suck. Jeff
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm

I'll post some pics once I get back, maybe Thursday night. I talked to the guys at Innovative, but still no real answer on the ballast. I believe they assume ballast should draw minimal voltage. This was drawing so much voltage the engine had to idle up. I can only assume a faulty ballast, but trying to see who here had HID's with stock wiring. If I need the innovative kit, then I can do that. The guys at innovative didn't sound like they thought wiring was the issue.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 pm

well, I couldn't get back as far due to the how the wife parked, but here is the light

Ebay clears IMG_0232_zpsca64f30a
Lows

Ebay clears IMG_0233_zpse98a1781
Highs

Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Still waiting on response from the eBay company, but when I ohm the ballasts, I get 13.14 m ohm on one and 15.68 m ohm on the other. Normal reading? That seems like a big difference in the resistance.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 pm

ok. well back on this project. The answer I got from the company was I needed a relay kit. Even though it says these lights are factory replacement... So, I built my own. I had ordered relays and pigtails from the local Vatozone, but of course they ordered the wrong stuff (non-weather tight).

So, I made an o-crap run to the local junkyard and picked up a set of relays and pigtails off a 89 something buick or oldsmobile, or something. Anyways, grabbed them and the mounted bracket and got started. Luckily I already had the 12 and 14 gauge wiring needed (I know, other kits use 10 gauge, get over it). Got it wired up and tested it on the 9007 bulbs already installed. Nothing blew up and all worked fine. I wired to the aux post at the fuse panel instead of straight to the battery. Mainly because it was a short run to where the relays were mounted. I now had 13.5 volts at the light sockets.
It was still daylight, so I went ahead and put in the HID's to see if both would come on with the new wiring. Sure enough, the both clicked on and work great. Now, where's the complaints. See below.

I'll start with the most petty but still needs addressed. The speed nuts are weak. I have broken 3 of 4 so far. It takes a tiny bit of torque to break the threads off. I ended up swapping for the factory speed nuts and the light housing will most likely break before these.
Ebay clears IMG_2614_zps4737a68f

So, the light output. Lows, they are good.
Ebay clears IMG_2609_zps111097d1

These are slightly aimed down just to make sure I don't kill other drivers.
Ebay clears IMG_2610_zps2c998b27

And when turned on bright, they look like they would blind the world
Ebay clears IMG_2611_zpsa711b614

So, on the road. Lows are really good. The picture doesn't show the real thing, but vision is much better than indicated. A nice, clear, defined picture of what's in front of me.
Ebay clears IMG_2612_zpsdb564d45

But, turn it on high and who turned the lights out? Its almost like the light points to the ground.
I'm not even sure these are legally high beams.
Ebay clears IMG_2613_zpsda3f6e41

So, what gives? I'll be sending this back to the company to show their poor performance, but what would fix it? I think one issue is the light orientation in the housing. The high/low beam sits side by side when placed in the housing. If the slots on the headlight were high beam on top and low beam on bottom, the high beam would project farther correct?
I think this would work as I tried this on the 9007 bulbs. It made a definite adjustment in the height of projection in these same housings. Having to slot every bulb from here out would be a pain, so is there another model of light that has this already?

Next idea is, have both bulbs on at once. I'm just not sure how to do this in the wiring. I have a dual relay set up now. One relay for high beams and one for low beams. The only idea I have off the top of the head is to some how use the low beam from the factory wiring socket I left alone to signal the left over leg on the 5 pin relay to continue power to the low side. Doesn't sound like it will work, but anyways.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm

Ok. Couldn't stay with the HID's with no real high beams. So, went back to the 9007 bulbs.
Its surprising how much better these are with full voltage. Ok, pics!

Low beams
Ebay clears IMG_0276_zps55b9ee67

High beams
Ebay clears IMG_0275_zpsffc80cb3

Road with highs on. 90 million times better.
Ebay clears IMG_0273_zps79744aab

I actually had to aim the lights down a bit. I never got a single flash when driving with the HID lows. After I swapped to the 9007 bulbs, I got constant flashes. I had to aim these things down, and surprising lighting actually got better. Crazy what a little aim can do.
Back to top Go down
Bobloblaw

Bobloblaw

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 10:31 pm

For those who have ever wondered about lighting......
Get into a comfy chair, because you will be around for a while reading this.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45797

This is from another forum that I am a member of.

It gives a really good comparison of the different type of lights that are on the market.
He is a little biased, but raises some good points.
Granted this is for newer GM SUV's, it will still somewhat apply to our vehicles.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 am

I'm surprised anyone would want to change the headlights in the body styles. I have an 07 I've had since new and by far the best lights Ive ever had. The lows stay on with the highs so high beam lights the world. Low beams are very effective, even got me brighted a time or two. Best of all (knock on wood) I've owned this truck it's entire 8 years and 115k miles and never replaced a headlight bulb.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2015 11:27 pm

That is a huge improvement thanks for the photos...Jeff
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2015 3:00 pm

I bought the same ones.. Had the same problems with the power.. Those HIDs are crap.. The first on my car burned out after about a month, and the second one just a couple of days later.. Be sure to have spare halogens when driving at night.. But, the clears looks SOO good, i love them!
Back to top Go down
lowlow37

lowlow37

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Ebay clears 10329250_10152840647302758_1484777471446950417_n

The ground was an issue when trying to get proper lowbeams on my car when changing to another set of better HIDs for 9007 sockets..
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 am

I ended up using a dremel to notch the bulb and rotate it 180. Works great now
Back to top Go down

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 11:54 am

You don't need to change the sockets. You can just move the wires on your originals. That's what I did to mine.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 8:45 pm

same here. didn't replace sockets, just moved around wiring in stock sockets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ebay clears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ebay clears   Ebay clears Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ebay clears
Page 1 of 1