GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system

Go down 
+5
fixitman333
jasonlachapelle
200OZ
GMjonn
Steve Smith
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Empty
PostSubject: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm tired of replacing the rusted sections of the (mostly ) stock system on my '96 Roadie wagon. Time for a nice ALL stainless cat back , BOLT ON system. I'm looking for a nice Dodge Ram, Mustang GT kind of sound if possible. Don't expect any performance improvement, just want a NO RUST good looking, bolt on system with a nice rumble.

Am I asking too much? There has to be some decent company that makes one. Like to keep cost under $500 if possible.

Steve
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm

You can get a stainless pypes x pipe from LMPerformance for 167.88 shipped like I did and add. Stainless mufflers of your choosing. You would need to get custom stainless pipes bent up for a wagon though.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 5:07 pm

So the "X" pipe joins the left and right sides of the exhaust? Advantage over non connected like o.e.m?
What mufflers are you going to use?

Steve
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2015 5:20 pm

What i understand is it creates a scavaging effect to help draw out exhaust gasses. Its supposed to work better than a H pipe. I have heard people on here say they dont like the sound of a X pipe, others say it sounds just fine. If you do some web research you can find the advantages of a X pipe.
I have listened to sounds over at the impala ss forum in the exhaust section and dont find the X pipe any worse than a non X pipe exhaust. Evety body has their own likes and dislikes though.
As far as mufflers go seeing that I live down south and never see any road salt at all im just going to go with non stainless turbo mufflers and custom bent 2.5 inch pipes for over the axle
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 9:26 pm

No such thing as a stainless bolt in exhaust for these cars, for anywhere near $500. Not even for the Impala SS. The Pypes x pipe is stainless, but is not a bolt in by any means. Unless you can find a factory exhaust off a nice Southern car you may be out of luck.

I'd get DynoMax intermediate pipes, Stainless mufflers, factory replacement tails, and stainless clamps. You're still near or over the $500 mark with that set up though too.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 9:53 pm

Made a call this morning to a place in Trenton, NJ. Told them what I wanted. Was told less than 1 full day to make and install.
Gonna have to bite the bullet to get it however, was told $1100-$1200 Shocked But at least it'll last the life of the car.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes, you're asking too much.  Like Mike says, no one even makes a cat back exhaust system for the wagon, period.

Price out t304ss and you'll see why there are no 500$ cat backs for any b-body, anywhere.  Billy boat makes one for the sedan, and ATR used to make one in the early 00s.  It was about 900$ 15 years ago.

Your best bet is to get a borla catback and have an exhaust shop modify the over the axle pipes.  They are clearing out the borla kits at summit for 670.  It's just 2.25", but since you aren't concerned about all out performance it will be fine. It's better than the stuck system.
Back to top Go down
fixitman333

fixitman333

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:14 pm

i bought the cat back system for an Impala SS from Jegs. bolted in with no problem. the only "modification" i had to do was to remove the trailer hitch. i do not tow trailers and the pipes look great sticking out of the back of the car. best part, it was a little over $300 shipped. sounds great by the way.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 10:43 pm

$1200 is crazy expensive. Buy Flowmaster crossover, take it to an independent muffler shop, have them fab up a set of stainless straight pipes incorporating the x-over. You're out maybe $350-$400 and your car will have a sweet burble.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 am

If you are paying $1,200, make dam sure they are mandrel bending those pipes!
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 am

Since I made that post over 4 months ago, things have changed. Bought 4 Flowmaster 40 mufflers. Two will go on my '94 Caprice next Spring (keep it stock over the cold months), and my '96 Roadmaster is most likely going to get some long tube mufflers along with some engine upgrades for more power. Spending $1000+ on just a stainless system for the Buick is no longer being considered.
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 7:08 am

fixitman333 wrote:
i bought the cat back system for an Impala SS from Jegs. bolted in with no problem. the only "modification" i had to do was to remove the trailer hitch. i do not tow trailers and the pipes look great sticking out of the back of the car. best part, it was a little over $300 shipped. sounds great by the way.

I also got the Jegs's 2-1/2" cat back system (meant for sedan) for my wagon. I had to modify the driver side tail pipe quite a bit to make it sit nicely. Don't remember if I had to modify the passenger side tail pipe also. Otherwise they fit very well as they were. I also modified the rearmost area for my liking, and secured the tail pipes to the over the axle pipes by one spot weld per pipe. They don't interfere with my trailer hitch. I've had them for a couple of years now. Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 8:17 pm

my factory stainless systems are still going good,..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system   Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanted, catback stainless throaty exhaust system
Page 1 of 1