GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?

Go down 
+2
Andebe
Steve Smith
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Empty
PostSubject: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Since I just today bought my first "woodie", I had planned on stripping what's left on the perimeter trim pieces and highly polishing them then clear coating. But, I'm not sure they are all the same material. Thought they are all made of alum., correct?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 8:26 pm

There have been some of the front spears reported as plastic.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 11:36 pm

There is a coating on them that is a little difficult to remove, but they are aluminum.
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
There is a coating on them that is a little difficult to remove, but they are aluminum.

Professional grade paint stripper perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Be careful what you use, it may etch the aluminum.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 am

Steve Smith wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

Professional grade paint stripper perhaps?

i stripped the trim along time back on the ldm wagon,.i used a bench mounted wire wheel,.took a lot of effort,.
then i shot the trim with zinc chromate primer, then painted the trim an ugly beige (almost cummins engine color)

It looked so factory people never noticed it,....
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
There is a coating on them that is a little difficult to remove,.
Warning! Extreme understatement! What ever that coating is it resists all attempts to remove it till the bitter end. affraid lots and lots of elbow grease and patience required.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?   Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trim around exterior "wood". All pieces alum.?
Page 1 of 1