GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

chugga chugga

Go down 
+6
1993 Roady-man
jasonlachapelle
Big Wagon Guy
phantom 309
andy caprice
lamune
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

chugga chugga - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 9:07 pm

iac high counts are not going to give you back fires,.

stop ;ooking at the data for an answer,. DATA helps you tune an engine,. cel's tell when something is broke or nfg,.

something is hooked up wrong,.

Lets have a re-cap in chronological order of what you have done,..(to the poor engine_{
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 12:49 am

I get it Nick, weird running car is spitting out weird data. I just thought it was interesting. Smile

I did some due diligence tonight, I validated that the spark plug wires are going to the correct cylinders, and that 4 of the injectors (1,2,7,8 ) are correctly wired. The other 4 have different colored wires than the FSM lists however it's pretty obvious where they go.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks Dan, that will be very helpful!
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm going to add this link here, a bunch of high-res pictures of the various things around the engine. Nick, maybe the best I can do until I fly you out here. Smile

If anyone wants to take a look, and if you see something weird, let me know...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Hey I don't want to jinx it, but I think I might owe Fred K a kiss beer.

The black plugs and the black splats on the garage floor suggest incomplete combustion, and the smelly exhaust suggests plenty of fuel, and as Nick was pointing out both- along with the backfire- suggest weak spark. One cause of weak spark could be a bad ground, even though I repaired that over a year ago.

So I was reviewing my pictures and zooming in and really looking at it- I didn't like the way my ground at the ICM repair looked. I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I rearranged it such that the copper lugs were pressing directly against the ICM heatsink and not just clamped to the stud.

When I started the car up cold I could tell immediately that something was different, it fired up strong and idled really nicely. Throttle response was strong, and even after warming up it stayed running nicely. I got one "almost" backfire/blorpy sound, but other than that it ran better than I've ever seen it run.

I collected a log, I'll throw it up on the shared folder if anyone wants to take a look.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 3:46 am

phantom 309 wrote:

because its seems to me that we are assuming you are doing everything right,..?

Lastly,.. have you carefully looked over the wiring harness?

phantom 309 wrote:

didn't this engine run fine till you changed everything around??

phantom 309 wrote:

Need to throw in a little freddy K advice here too,.  clean all your grounds on the head by the coil/module,.

make sure they are all hooked up and not 1 broken off in the bundle,..

lamune wrote:

Nick, the grounds are good. I redid those when I got the car, much better than what was there!

well done Fred,.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 11:03 am

^^^Still choking on drink after reading this^^^ Good job,Fred....
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 12:15 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

lamune wrote:

Nick, the grounds are good. I redid those when I got the car, much better than what was there!

well done Fred,.

You too Nick. And everyone else with the troubleshooting suggestions. Smile

Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 2:46 am

I'm still looking into why the timing on this motor seems to be well outside the norm when throttle angle goes over 30 degrees. Compared to other LT1 data sets it still looks weird. Any speculation as to what may cause this? Bad fuel? Knock sensors? Something else entirely? Could still be something up with the intake/vacuum leaks, I haven't had a chance to do that yet. (Had to wait for supplies to helicoil the stud on the oil cooler adapter!)
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 6:45 am

Good luck with that,...Fred will be able to help,.
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 1:04 pm

andy caprice wrote:
Just to make sure I understand correctly (not being an english speaker); you mean a jerking forward motion, not the engine shaking the car? Mine did the former when it had a faulty egr valve. It was a new one. I don't know, if it was really faulty, or of wrong kind.

You have a Caprice in Finland? SISU!!
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 12:44 am

Ok, I got the car back together and was able to take it for a drive. No more oil pouring out of the front cover or the oil cooler, and that's definitely a good thing.

But onto performance- the hesitation I see when the car's sitting in park and I'm playing with the throttle is completely absent when the car is in gear and on the road. You can stomp the pedal from a dead stop and the car just goes. And it goes better than I ever remember. Those Flowmasters are really something, the car really sounds like a Camaro when you get on it.

It's not quite perfect, I can definitely feel something missing or not working correctly when the converter's locked up and cruising at a low speed (45mph or so) on level ground. That seems like a common EGR problem complaint. I'll have to get some logs I guess to see if anything points to a suspect there.

Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 12:50 am

I'm checking other engine grounds to be sure they're OK too. What's the one on the front of the alternator on the alternator support bracket supposed to look like? I'm not sure that one is installed correctly.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 pm

Well, if anyone else is still watching, I got to changing the intake manifolds yesterday. No change in the car's behavior except the oil stopped pouring out the ends of the block. (a definite improvement there)

Car runs the same. It's driveable, but I wouldn't consider it enjoyable.

And yes I can make it backfire under the right (wrong?) conditions still.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 9:42 pm

I did replace the ECT. Testing with the chart and ohmmeter, it seems fine. The computed temperature values read by software agree with ambient readings, and the hot temps look to be in-line. Wouldn't hurt to re-evaluate, I have an infrared thermometer around somewhere I could use as a cross-check.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chugga chugga   chugga chugga - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

chugga chugga
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Engine-
Jump to: